Information for TAC clients

The TAC is monitoring the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation.

We continue to work with government, health agencies and our providers to ensure TAC clients receive the care they need with minimal disruption.

The Department of Health website is regularly updated with coronavirus news and advice, current facts and figures, key contacts and phone numbers.

If you need COVID-19 information in your own language, please visit the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website for translated information.

The DHHS website also has information about the symptoms of coronavirus.

If you are a TAC client, please check this page for updates.

If you suspect you may have coronavirus, please call the Department of Health and Human Services dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398. Only use Triple Zero (000) for emergencies.

Information in your language

The Health translations website has the definitive collection of COVID-19 resources that is updated daily. These include critical fact sheets, videos, and posters currently available in 70 languages. You can access these resources here.

Look after your mental health and wellbeing

If you're not able to go out at the moment, there are great digital mental health services available. We've put together a range of resources that are available for all TAC clients.

Psychologists from the TAC's clinical Panel have also put together some information about how to look after your mental health during the pandemic.

How to contact the TAC

We're following Victorian Government guidelines and many TAC staff members are working remotely.

Due to this situation we have some different options for how you can contact us.

We will respond to all enquiries as quickly as possible, however you may experience delays.

We appreciate your patience and ask if you can minimise repeat calls or requests about the same enquiry.

1. Use our myTAC app or web portal to send and receive messages. You can also send us documents, receipts and requests for reimbursement

2. Use the Contact us online form

3. If you have a direct line for your TAC claims manager you can contact them on that number.

Phone lines - urgent calls only

We recommend that you only call 1300 654 329 for urgent matters. You can leave us a voicemail message. Our staff will monitor messages and call you back as soon as possible.

Frequently asked questions

Updated Wednesday, 17 June 2020

If you have questions or concerns about accessing your usual essential supports (such as attendant care services, medication, disability aids and equipment) please contact your provider in the first instance.

For older FAQs, please check the other pages in this section.

Updated: Will my JobKeeper payments impact my TAC income payments?

This will depend on the type of income benefit you are receiving from the TAC:

  • If you are currently receiving a loss of earnings payment (LOE) from the TAC, we will consider JobKeeper payments as wages or earnings when determining your partial LOE benefit.
  • If you are currently receiving a loss of earnings capacity payment (LOEC) from the TAC, we will not consider JobKeeper payments when determining your partial LOEC benefit. The TAC will continue to make LOEC assessments in line with your current capacity to work and relevant medical information on file.

If you are receiving JobKeeper payments, you should notify the TAC as soon as possible. This includes:

  • If you are an employee, or
  • If you are self-employed and your business is receiving a JobKeeper payment.

We will then assess your income benefit and let you know if there are any changes.

You must also notify Centrelink if you are receiving Centrelink benefits and TAC income support at the same time. This will help you avoid a Centrelink debt.

If I am a person with disability, how can I plan for an emergency?

It is important to plan for emergencies well in advance. Collaborating 4 Inclusion has a range of emergency planning tools designed by people with disability for people with disability. The TAC encourages you to make emergency plans in collaboration with your family, friends and/or care team so you are prepared in case an emergency occurs.

Can my Community Group Program be run online?

No. The TAC does not fund online Community Group Programs. We encourage you to seek support from family and friends during this time. If you are struggling because of isolation please speak directly with your TAC claims manager.

Will the TAC pay for telehealth?

To help you continue to get the treatment you need, we have introduced temporary funding of telehealth services.

This means you may be able to have transport accident related medical appointments from home. This could be over the phone or by video conferencing. Speak to your provider about your options.

Telehealth services can only be delivered to TAC clients in Australia (not overseas), even if the provider is delivering the service from Australia.

Tips for video conferencing

The University of Queensland has developed a fact sheet to help people get the most from their telehealth appointment. It is available on the Centre for Online Health website.

Where can I find information for people with a disability about COVID-19?

The Australian Government Department of Health has created a webpage with comprehensive information regarding COVID-19 advice for people with disability. This includes information regarding how people with disability can help protect themselves against COVID-19 and how to access services they may require.

The Australian Government Department of Social Services has setup the Disability Information Helpline to support people with disability, their families and careres during COVID-19. It provides information and referrals as well as easy to read resources about coronavirus. You can call the Disability Information Helpline on 1800 643 787 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm (AEST).

Easy read versions of official government coronavirus resources are available on the Information Access Group website.

The Information Access Group has also produced an easy read magazine with information and tips for people with disability at home.

Can the TAC pay for my groceries or the delivery of groceries during COVID-19?

No. The TAC cannot pay for client’s groceries during the pandemic.

We can consider paying for the delivery of groceries if this is related to your transport accident injuries. We cannot pay for the delivery of groceries if the need is only related to COVID-19.

You are encouraged to talk to your family and friends about ways they might be able to support you. If you do not have people who can support you during this time the Victorian Government has Emergency Relief Packages that some vulnerable Victorian’s may be eligible for. Coles and Woolworths have priority assistance during COVID-19 that may also be able to assist you during this time.

You can find up-to-date information about how to access food and other essential items, which includes delivery details for the major supermarkets at the DHHS Access to Food and Other Essential Items webpage.

How can I stay fit and healthy now sport and recreation facilities are closed?

There are lots of free online resources that can help you stay fit and healthy while you stay at home.

The VicHealth blog has information about healthy eating, physical activity and mental wellbeing.

The Premier’s Active April website has cardio, strength and core workouts that can be done at home.

Aerobase has launched an online aerobics program for adults and children with disability.

Can I request just one attendant care worker, even if that means the worker is required to do overtime?

It is best to discuss this with your attendant care provider and make plans with them. Providers need to consider their occupational health and safety requirements and impact on staff.