How to get a treatment or service
Immediately after your accident
There is a range of treatments and services we can pay for immediately after your transport accident. Some treatments and services need TAC approval before you can access them. Check the Treatments and services page for more information.
In general, you can get a treatment or service if:
- you have a TAC claim number
- your doctor or other health professional recommends it, and
- the treatment or service is for your accident injuries.
Once you have confirmed these three things, you can:
- Choose a provider. Your doctor can recommend one in your local area or you can search online.
- Call and make an appointment. Tell them you are a TAC client. Ask if they charge at TAC rates. If the provider charges more, they may ask you for a ‘gap payment’ to make up the difference.
- Go to your appointment and give the provider your TAC claim number.
We’ll check your progress
We will continue to check and review your treatments and services to make sure they:
- are effective and support your recovery goals
- lead to positive outcomes that will help you manage your injury
- are in line with what we can pay for under the Transport Accident Act 1986.
We may ask your providers to send us more information or a treatment plan. This helps us to understand more about the treatment you need. It helps us make decisions about what we can pay for and for how long.
If we don’t get the information we ask for, we may not be able to pay your provider for your treatments and services.
You can still access treatment and pay for it yourself. We can reimburse you at the TAC rate when:
- we receive the information we asked for, and
- if we approve further treatment or services.
After a gap in treatment
If it’s been more than 6 months since you had any treatment paid for by the TAC, you need to call us first to talk about your needs.
We may ask for more information from your health professional before we decide to pay for more treatment.
What we can and can’t pay for
|We can pay for||We can't pay for|
|Medical treatment, rehabilitation services, disability services, income support, travel support and household support||Treatment or services unrelated to your transport accident injuries|
|Treatment and services recommended by a health professional||Treatment or services that are not safe, effective or necessary|
|Treatment and services you need because of your transport accident injuries||Treatment or services provided outside Australia|
|Treatment and services provided in Australia||Treatment by a person who is not registered, qualified or authorised to provide the service|
|Treatment and services which are safe and effective||An account for a treatment or service submitted outside the TAC's time limit for payment|
|Travel costs not related to your TAC claim. See our travel policy for details|
|Cancellation or non-attendance fees for appointments you make|
How we pay for your treatment
In most cases, we will pay your provider at the TAC rate listed at tac.vic.gov.au/rates. If your provider charges more than this rate, they may pass on the extra cost to you. This is known as a gap payment.
If you pay for your approved treatment or service in full, we will reimburse you at the TAC rate. Please scan or take a photo of your receipt and send it to us through the myTAC portal or app available at tac.vic.gov.au/mytac.