Visiting Expenses for the Parent(s) of an Injured Dependent Child admitted to Hospital

For parents visiting a child in hospital where the child is not dependent on them, refer to the Visiting Expenses for the Family members of an Injured Client Admitted to Hospital policy.


The TAC can pay the reasonable cost of travel and accommodation expenses incurred by a parent(s) to visit their dependent child who is admitted to hospital as a result of a transport accident, under section 60(2C) of the Transport Accident Act 1986.

This policy must be read in conjunction with the Travel and Accommodation Expenses policy.


In this policy:

  • "Dependent child" in relation to a person means a child of that person who:
    • is under the age of 16 years; or
    • has attained the age of 16 years but is under the age of 25 years and is a full time student and would, but for the injury or death of that person, be wholly, mainly or in part dependent on that person for economic support but does not include a child who has a spouse or domestic partner. Transport Accident Act 1986 reference: s.3 'dependent child'
  • Travel Expenses are expenses incurred in travelling by:
    • private motor vehicle (including parking fees and tolls)
    • motor vehicle hire
    • public transport
    • taxi
    • domestic and/or international air travel.


What can the TAC pay for in relation to reasonable visiting expenses for the parent(s) of an injured dependent child admitted to hospital?

The TAC can pay the reasonable cost of:

  • accommodation for a parent(s) whose daily travel times to visit his/her child are long or excessive
  • accommodation for a parent(s) upon recommendation from the child's doctor that it would be beneficial for the parent(s) to be accommodated closer to the hospital because of the child's age and injuries
  • travel expenses for a parent(s) to attend a hospital from his/her home (or other accommodation) for the duration of the injured dependent child's in-patient stay, regardless of the distance
  • up to 5 additional nights accommodation if the dependent child dies as a result of transport accident injuries whilst an in-patient of a hospital (from the injured client's date of death ), and or
  • the reasonable cost of any cancellation/booking fees incurred where accommodation arrangements were made before the death of an injured client

For any accommodation greater than 3 months the TAC needs the treating doctor to send the TAC a medical report supporting the need for the sustained parental contact.

These expenses are payable every time a child is re-admitted to hospital for a new episode of care as a result of the transport accident injury.

How are visiting expenses claimed?

For travel expenses:

  • the parent claiming visiting expenses needs to complete and send to the TAC a Travel Expenses Declaration form. The parent will also need to attach all original receipts where possible.

For accommodation and air travel expenses:

  • the parent claiming needs to provide the original receipts and other relevant supporting material.

In relation to visiting expenses for the parent(s) of an injured dependent child admitted to hospital, what won't the TAC pay for?

The TAC will not pay for:

  • the cost of meals. Meal expenses are part of the normal cost of daily living and are incurred regardless of a transport accident
  • travel and accommodation once a child is discharged from hospital
  • travel and accommodation when the child ceases to be a dependent child and there is no entitlement to Visiting Expenses for Members of the Immediate Family of an Injured Client Admitted to Hospital
  • travel provided in a commercial passenger vehicle driven by a person who does not possess appropriate accreditation with the Victorian Taxi Services Commission (or accreditation by the relevant Taxi regulation authority for travel outside Victoria). Refer to the Travel and Accommodation policy for further information.

Private Vehicle Travel Reimbursement (for clients)

TAC Maximum
For travel from 1 July 2008 onwards*
*last reviewed 1 July 2017
30 cents per kilometre

Calculation of the Private Vehicle Travel Reimbursement Rate (for Clients)

The reimbursement rate is based on methodology recommended by the motoring organisation the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV).  This methodology calculates the "average" running costs and vehicle depreciation associated with travelling extra distances for defined purposes associated with a TAC claim.

The running costs are made up of the following factors:

  • Tyres
  • Service/repairs
  • Fuel

The estimation of fuel costs is based on the average cost per litre of unleaded petrol for Melbourne during the three month period immediately prior to the RACV report as published by the AAA website.


The TAC will review and update this rate annually based on the recommendations received from the RACV.

These fees should be read in conjunction with the policy on travel benefits.

View Travel expense declaration form

Travel expense declaration form


This form is to be used when claiming reimbursement for travel (i.e. private vehicle, public transport and/or taxi) expenses to attend: medical treatment for accident injuries; medical examinations arranged by the TAC; approved rehabilitation or disability services; or work, if you are participating in a formal Return to Work program.

Are your bank details up to date?
Keep your bank account details up to date to receive your payment or reimbursement from the TAC as soon as possible. You can update your details by completing the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Authority form for TAC clients or by calling us on 1300 654 329.