Returning to work

Many people find getting back to work plays a big part in their recovery. When you are ready, we’re here to support you get back to work as quickly and safely as possible.

How will you help me get back to work after a transport accident?

We will work with you, your employer and your health professionals to help you return to work, or find other duties. We can help you identify your work goals and find suitable services to support you.

We can pay for the following services to support your return to work:

  • Vocational rehabilitation services.
  • Allied health professional services, such as occupational therapy, physiotherapy or psychology.
  • Workplace modifications or equipment.
  • Retraining, to help you get a new job if you can’t return to the job you had before your accident.
  • Travel, to and from your work or to and from retraining.
  • Financial help for your current or new employer, to help you to get back into the workforce.

What services are available to help me?

Vocational rehabilitation services can help you prepare for your return to work, carry out a workplace assessment or help you find a new role if your injuries stop you from returning to your old job.

Allied health services can help you to physically and mentally get used to working again after your accident.

What help is available for my employer?

We will also offer your employer financial assistance to support your return to work.

This can include:

  • WorkCover insurance premium protection, for the period of your return to work program.
  • Wage subsidies, to compensate your employer financially while you return to your normal hours and duties.
  • Work trial.
  • Equipment and/or changes to your workplace.

As an employer you have an important role to play in your employee's successful return to work. A timely return to work can help your employee's overall rehabilitation after an accident.

Please refer to the relevant brochure below:

For employers who had a staff member involved in a transport accident

For employers who are considering employing a TAC client, or who have recently employed a TAC client

View Vocational Services providers

Vocational Services providers


The TAC's vocational services panel members are experts in helping people get back to work and will focus on getting the best outcomes for you. You can choose any provider from the list below. More information is available in the TAC Vocational Providers booklet and at each provider's website.

List of vocational services providers

AcumenAcumen logo

Provider statement

It’s all about you. At Acumen we recognise that your recovery should encompass everything that you want to achieve or regain in your life.

Advanced Personal Management (APM)Advanced Personal Management logo

Provider statement

At APM we know how challenging and emotional it can be to recover from a motor vehicle accident.

Altius Rehabilitation ServicesAltius logo

Provider statement

Altius Rehabilitation Services is an industry leading provider of vocational rehabilitation.


Provider statement

Since partnering with the TAC in 2011, IPAR has helped more than 2,400 people to recover from a transport accident and return to health.

ProcareProcare logo

Provider statement

Procare is a leading provider of wellness, recovery and return to work services. We're here to help.



Rehab ManagementRehab Management logo

Provider statement

Rehab Management is an award-winning, nationally accredited vocational rehabilitation provider.

WorkFocus AustraliaWorkFocus logo

Provider statement

WorkFocus Australia coaches you through your recovery to meet your health, work, well-being and life goals.

View Returning to work

Returning to work


This booklet explains how TAC clients can work positively with their employer, health professionals and the TAC to coordinate a safe and smooth return to work. It outlines the TAC services and benefits, such as workplace assessments and modifications, that are available to assist return to work. There's also a useful planner tool and answers to frequently asked questions about return to work programs.

View Travel to work declaration form

Travel to work declaration form


This form is for claiming expenses related to travel (by private car, public transport and/or taxi) to work. (Claims for travel expenses to attend medical treatment and/or rehabilitation need to be made using a separate form titled Travel Expenses: Declaration).

There are two ways to get reimbursed:

  • Online
    The quickest and easiest way to get reimbursed is online. Simply log in to myTAC and send us a copy of your receipt. We will then transfer your reimbursement to your bank account.
    If you haven’t already, register for myTAC here or download the app to your mobile device
  • Post
    Please fill in the form below, attach your original receipts and post to Transport Accident Commission, Reply Paid 2751, Melbourne, Vic 3001

Are your bank details up to date?
The easiest way to keep your bank account details up to date is online. Simply log in to myTAC to update your details.

If you haven’t already, register for myTAC here or download the app to your mobile device to use myTAC.

If you prefer, you can also update your details by completing the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Authority form for TAC clients or by calling us on 1300 654 329.

View Return to work: plan form

Return to work: plan form


This form sets out the return to work plan for TAC clients to ensure the process is safe, coordinated and smooth. The plan details the worksite assessment, goals, projected hours and duties for the program's initial phase. The document needs to be completed by the therapist in consultation with the client and employer, then submitted to the TAC at last five days before the program commences.