A future where every journey is a safe one

Changes for providers

In 2018 we introduced two key changes to make it easier for our clients to get the right treatment at the right time:

  • A range of approved treatments and services that our clients can access immediately after their accident, without contacting us first, when recommended by a health professional.
  • Removal of the medical excess. For accidents on or after 14 February 2018, clients no longer have to pay a portion of their medical expenses before the TAC covers the costs.

With more clients accessing more services, we want to ensure we have the right information to understand their treatment needs and progress. So in 2019 we’ve introduced the changes below to help achieve this.

Earlier treatment reviews

We now review a client’s treatment and services earlier in their recovery process. We'll ask you and our client for information to ensure they’re accessing services that are reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework.

We may stop paying you directly for treatment until we receive this information. After a review we’ll let you and our client know if we approve or deny further treatment.

After a gap in treatment

If a client hasn’t received any treatment or services in 6 months, they’ll need to contact us before we can consider paying for further treatment.

This will allow us to discuss with the client how they’re progressing toward recovery. Please ask the client to contact us if 6 months have passed since they last accessed treatment.

Allied health treatment and recovery plan

If you provide allied health services to TAC clients, we may ask you to complete an Allied health treatment and recovery plan. You only need to complete it if a TAC claims manager or the client lets you know it’s required.

This plan helps us better understand our client’s injuries, treatment needs and goals. If we’ve requested it, any further invoices for that client won’t be paid until we’ve received it. This doesn’t cease a client’s entitlement to treatment, but we must receive the plan before we can consider paying for further treatment. Once we’ve received the plan, we’ll let you know if the client is approved for further treatment, and how much treatment you can provide.

Providing home services

We’re working to better monitor the provision and effectiveness of home services, which include gardening, cleaning and child care. If you deliver home services, please be mindful of the following:

  1. Confirm approval with the client. Our clients need to contact us for approval before they can access home services. Before you undertake any work for a TAC client, ask them to show you their approval, which may be in a letter, email or myTAC message.

    This only applies to new requests for services after 1 April 2019. You can continue providing home services to TAC clients you worked for prior to this date. We’ll contact you if a client is no longer eligible for home services.

  2. Perform essential services. We can only pay for a reasonable level of essential home services. If a client asks you to do non-essential work outside of what’s approved, you’ll need to bill them separately.

    Essential services are those the client did before their accident if they have no one else at home who can help. Essential gardening includes mowing lawns and whipper snippering around driveways, fences and garden beds (not non-essential duties like planting garden beds and painting). Essential house cleaning includes cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming and mopping floors (not non-essential duties like steam cleaning carpets and washing walls).

  3. Invoice via email. Home services can no longer be invoiced via LanternPay. You can still access your LanternPay account and payment history, but not submit new invoices. Please send your invoices to info@tac.vic.gov.au. Enter "Home Services" and the client's claim number in the subject line to prioritise the invoice. See our invoicing page to see what information is needed.