Occupational therapy guidelines

These guidelines should be read in conjunction with our General provider guidelines.

Who can provide occupational therapy services?

You can provide services if you are registered under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (e.g. AHPRA) to practice in the occupational therapy profession (other than as a student) and registered with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia.

The TAC is in partnership with the State-Wide Equipment Program (SWEP). We use this partnership to manage occupational therapist credentialing. This enables us to find suitably experienced and skilled occupational therapists to provide services for TAC clients in their local areas. You can read more about SWEP on the SWEP website.

What we can pay for

We can pay the reasonable costs of occupational therapy services, without prior approval, immediately after a transport accident when they are required as a result of a transport accident injury.

We will review our client’s treatment to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We'll ask you and our client for information during these reviews and may temporarily stop funding treatment if we don’t receive it.

Reviews help us understand our client’s injuries, treatment needs and goals and how to best support them to get their life back on track. After a review we’ll let you and our client know the decision regarding further treatment.

Where possible, the TAC will refer to providers who are registered and credentialed in line with the standards outlined in the SWEP registration and credentialing framework available on the SWEP website.

Immediately after a transport accident, a client may access occupational therapy services independently or following a referral from a medical practitioner or on discharge from hospital. The TAC can pay for the reasonable costs of an initial assessment and report required as a result of a transport accident injury.

Following an initial assessment and report, the TAC may pay for the reasonable costs of the following services after a review of the treatment plan:

Treatment and services

  • Attending multidisciplinary consultation and team meetings.
  • Hand Therapy via Accredited Hand Therapists.

Assessments and recommendations relating to the following:

  • Home services.
  • Activities of daily living.
  • Home modifications.
  • Vehicle modifications.
  • Driving programs/lessons.
  • Vocational and return to work plans.
  • Transport and travel training.
  • Attendant care programs, including carer training, community access guidelines for a client and Functional Independence Reviews.
  • Support and monitoring for clients engaged in community group programs.
  • Disability support services.
  • Multiple and Complex Needs Model (MACNM).
  • Neurobehavioural rehabilitation services.


  • Travel to conduct treatment in the community, where this is clinically justified.
  • Travel time can be paid for travel to and from your practice address and your client's residence. Where more than one client is visited in a single travel period, total travel costs should be apportioned equally between clients.
  • Travel should be a reasonable distance from your practice.
  • Travel should be invoiced in 15 minute increments.

Equipment and orthoses

  • Provision of basic equipment, including the supply of splints, supports and orthoses. Please read our Equipment guidelines.
  • For specialised equipment, use the Equipment Prescription Form to submit written requests for specialised items such as wheelchairs and bathroom equipment.
  • For additional information regarding equipment prescription and details about what the TAC can pay for, please refer to our Equipment guidelines.

Driving assessments

  • A VicRoads authorised occupational therapist may perform driving assessments, in cases where the transport accident injury imposes physical, psychological or cognitive restrictions on driving.

Other things to note

As part of your client’s treatment, you can:

Clients with a severe injury

  • If your client has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services will form part of the independence planning process between your client's treating team and one of the TAC’s support coordinators.
  • If your client already has an individualised funding package, occupational therapy services may be included as part of that.

How much we can pay

Occupational therapists who are credentialed at Red level (as defined by the SWEP Framework) are eligible to invoice in line with the Occupational Therapy fee schedule for red level providers.

All other occupational therapists will be paid in line with our Occupational therapy fees.

What we cannot pay for

We cannot pay for services that are included as part of a hospital inpatient bed fee.