What we can pay for
We can help pay for the treatments and services a TAC client may need as a result of their accident injuries.
Our approval requirements depend on whether a treatment or service is delivered within the first 90 days of the client’s accident, or after 90 days. We define a new client as one accessing treatment within the first 90 days of their accident.
What we can pay for after an accident
Within the first 90 days of a client’s accident, we can help pay for some treatments and services without the need for you or the client to contact us for approval first. The treatment or service must be:
- On our list of Approved treatments and services for new TAC clients (below), and
- Recommended by a health professional, related to the client’s accident injuries and delivered in line with the TAC Clinical Framework.
You will need TAC approval to help pay for treatments or services after the first 90 days of a client's accident.
Approved treatments and services for new TAC clients
*Further approval required if the client needs more than six sessions in the first 90 days after their accident.
**For clients to access TAC funded appointments, and for their immediate family members visiting hospital. Conditions apply. Does not include taxi travel.
Travel costs for providers
- It is clinically justified for you to conduct treatment in the community, or you are the most appropriate option in that locality, and
- The treatment has an associated scheduled fee/item number.
- Travel time will only be paid for travel to and from your practice address and the patient’s residence or place of appointment.
- Travel distances are reasonable between the practice base and the client’s home.
- Where you visit more than one TAC client in a single travel period, total travel costs should be split equally for each.
- If you book multiple appointments on the same day, please organise them efficiently, as we cannot pay for down time between appointments.
- When invoicing for travel, keep a record of travel details – points of origin, destination and duration of travel – in case we need it.
When you need to seek TAC approval
You or our client will need to contact the TAC for approval of treatments or services when:
- The treatment or service is on our list of Treatments and services that need approval (below), or
- The treatment or service is on our list of Approved treatments and services for new TAC clients, but it is approaching, or more than 90 days since your patient’s accident and we have not already approved further treatment, or
- More than 6 months have passed since the client received any TAC support.
Treatments and services that need approval
How to seek approval
For information on our approval process, see How to seek TAC approval.