The Towards Zero 2016-2020 Road Safety Strategy is the most ambitious action plan in Victoria’s road safety history. This bold plan maps out how Victorian road safety partners will work towards a 20% reduction in deaths and 15% reduction in serious injuries in five years.
The 2016 - 2020 Towards Zero Strategy and Action Plan is about saving as many lives and reducing as many serious injuries as possible. The Victorian Government is setting an ambitious target to reduce lives lost on our road by 200 people over the next five years - this is equivalent to a 20% reduction in deaths.
For full details download the Towards Zero 2016-2020 Strategy and Action Plan PDF, 2.66MB.
The 2016-2020 Road Safety strategy
The Road Safety Strategy is about creating a safe system for all Victorians – this means safe roads and roadsides, safe speeds, safe vehicles and safe road use by all people using the road.
- The greatest investment in making our roads safer through infrastructure with a particular focus on rural roads – more than $1 billion over five years
- A major effort to engage with the Victorian community on road safety
- Further investment in police resources to combat high-risk behaviours
- New measures to ensure the vehicles Victorians travel in are as safe as they can be.
This road safety plan is about creating a safe system for all Victorian and is focussing on the following key areas:
- More effort where most fatalities happen – on country roads
- The people most likely to become road casualties – younger and older Victorians, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians
- New technology to make our cars, roads and our own driving safer
The Towards Zero 2016 – 2020 Strategy and Action Plan was developed by the TAC and our partners, Victoria Police, VicRoads and the Department of Justice to focus on our biggest road trauma challenges. Visit the Towards Zero website for more details on the Towards Zero vision.