When someone dies

If you have lost a family member in a transport accident the TAC can help by providing information, financial support and advice.

The TAC can provide support with funeral costs and counselling services. The TAC can also provide financial support for dependants*.

*Dependents include the spouse or partner of the deceased and children under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 25 and a full-time student, but does not include a child who has a spouse or partner.

Getting help

A TAC support coordinator is available to help you to understand and access TAC benefits.

The first thing you need to do is complete a Funeral and Dependency Benefits claim form. This form asks for information about the person who has died and the accident. The TAC uses this information to work out which benefits you are entitled to and how best to manage your claim.

Your TAC support coordinator is available to help you complete the claim form and can explain what additional information you may need to provide.

If you have any questions, or would like more information, please call the TAC and ask for a support coordinator. You can call the TAC Customer Service Centre on 1300 654 329 or toll-free on 1800 332 556.

TAC benefits

Your entitlement will depend on your family's circumstances. When you have an accepted TAC claim, you can contact your support coordinator for more information about a particular service.

The amounts listed on this page apply for the period 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018. These amounts are indexed each year.

Support with funeral/burial and cremation expenses

The TAC can contribute a maximum amount of $15,230 towards the cost of a funeral, including burial, cremation and monument.

More information about funeral expenses.

Travel and accommodation expenses to attend a funeral, burial or cremation

The TAC can pay up to $5,070 per family to cover the costs of travel and accommodation expenses within Australia for the immediate family members attending the funeral of a TAC client.  To be eligible, the accident must be on or after 14 December 2016 and the family member must reside more than 100kms from the place where the funeral, burial or cremation is held.

More information about travel and accommodation expenses for immediate family members to attend the funeral, burial or cremation of a TAC Client.

Support with family counselling

The TAC can pay for family counselling services required as a result of a death. This benefit is available to the spouse or partner, parents, children, brothers and sisters of the person who has died. To be eligible, a registered doctor, psychologist or qualified social worker must provide the counselling service. The TAC can pay up to a maximum of $16,160 per family.

Any family member who is diagnosed with a mental or physical injury as a result of the transport accident may be eligible to lodge their own claim. Please contact the TAC on 1300 654 329 if you or another family member wishes to inquire about lodging a claim.

More information about family counselling.

Support for a dependent spouse or partner

If your spouse or partner was contributing to your family's income or caring for your children, the TAC can provide some financial support to help you.

Lump sum payment

The TAC can pay a one-off lump sum benefit to a dependent partner. This amount can be up to $181,180 depending on the person's age, family circumstances or any prior impairment payments. Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible to receive other benefits.

In addition to a lump sum payment, a dependent partner may receive a weekly payment and/or support at home. The benefit you receive will depend on what your partner's responsibilities were before the accident.

If your partner was employed and providing financial support

The TAC can pay an ongoing, regular payment, equivalent to 80% of your partner's earnings, up to a maximum of $1,300 gross per week. You may be eligible for this benefit even if you were working at the time of the accident. To claim these benefits, you will need to provide information about your partner's income.


If your partner was caring for children or responsible for housework

The TAC can contribute to the cost of employing a person to help out with the childcare and household tasks for which your partner was responsible. There are limits to the amount of weekly hours the TAC can pay for, the duration and the rate of reimbursement.

If your partner was also in paid employment, please contact your TAC support coordinator to find out which benefits apply to your situation.

TAC support for dependent children

If both parents, a sole parent or a supporting parent died in the accident, payments can be made for the dependent children of the deceased.

The dependent children may receive the following benefits.

Lump sum payment

The TAC can pay a one-off lump sum of up to $181,180 to the dependent children. This sum is held with the State Trustees until the children reach 18.

A dependent child is defined as being under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 25 and a full-time student, but does not include a child who has a spouse or partner.

If there is more than one dependent child, this lump sum will be divided equally between the dependent children.

Fortnightly payment

The TAC can also pay the legal guardian $181 each week for each dependent child under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 18 and a full-time student.

Education allowance

The TAC can also pay an education allowance of $2,890 per year to the legal guardian for each full-time student, up to 18 years of age.

Please note: These benefits will not apply if the child's surviving parent is first entitled to a benefit as a dependent spouse or domestic partner.