If I am a person with disability, how can I plan for an emergency?

It is important to plan for emergencies well in advance. The TAC encourages you to make emergency plans in collaboration with your family, friends and/or care team so you are prepared in case an emergency occurs. The following resources can help:

  • Collaborating 4 Inclusion's emergency planning tools designed by people with disability for people with disability.
  • The Australian Department of Health and Aged Care's Living with COVID-19 checklist to help you make a plan if someone in your home tests positive for COVID-19 and needs to isolate.

Where can I find information for people with a disability about COVID-19?

A range of resources are available that can assist people with disability during the pandemic. These include:

  • The Australian Government Department of Health's Coronavirus Advice for People with Disability, which has easy-read and other useful information.
  • The Australian Government Department of Social Services' Disability Gateway to support people with disability, their families and carers during COVID-19. It provides information and referrals as well as easy-read resources about COVID-19. The Disability Gateway is available on 1800 643 787 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.
  • The National Disability Services' COVID-19 Hub, which provides resources, information and advice from Australian governments and agencies.
  • Easy-read versions of official government COVID-19 resources on the Information Access Group website.

Can I request just one attendant care worker, even if that means the worker is required to do overtime?

It is best to discuss this with your attendant care provider and make plans with them. Providers need to consider their occupational health and safety requirements and impact on staff.