Treatment and services

How do I get approval for a treatment or service?

You will need to contact us if you need approval for a treatment or service. Due to the coronavirus situation many TAC staff are working remotely. This means we have made some changes to the way you can contact us.

1. Use our myTAC app or web portal to send and receive messages. You can also send us documents, receipts and requests for reimbursement

2. Use the Contact us online form

Phone lines - urgent calls only

We recommend that you only call 1300 654 329 for urgent matters. You can leave us a voicemail message. Our staff will monitor messages and call you back as soon as possible.

For all other matters, please follow the steps below.

Can I get an extension to a treatment or service approval because of the coronavirus situation?

If you need an extension to a treatments or service, please contact us to tell us about your needs.

Due to the coronavirus situation we have different options for how to you can contact us. We will respond to all requests as quickly as possible, but you may experience delays given the current situation.

Will the TAC pay for my health provider to visit me at home?

The TAC will consider requests to fund home visits if a TAC client needs to access essential health services, but is isolating themselves at home on advice from a medical practitioner, or they are a patient in a vulnerable group*.

As is our current practice for all TAC funded treatment and services, the need for a home visit must:

  • relate to the TAC client’s transport accident injuries
  • be reasonable, according to the Transport Accident Act, 1986
  • be clinically justified and outcome focussed.

*Vulnerable groups are people aged over 70, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged over 50, people with chronic health conditions or those who are immunocompromised

Will the TAC pay for the delivery of pharmacy items?

The TAC can pay for medication to be delivered to your home if you are unable to attend a pharmacy due to your transport accident injuries.

If you cannot visit a pharmacy because you are self-isolating due to COVID-19, you should consider home delivery options through local pharmacies or the government's Home Medicines Service.

Will my home services program continue during COVID-19?

The TAC is still funding home services during the pandemic, unless government guidelines change. Please be mindful of health and safety when workers attend your home by exercising social distancing. The TAC also encourages clients to tell home services workers if they are in isolation with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 before the worker attends your property. This will help protect the worker and ensure proper precautions are taken to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Will the TAC pay for me to catch taxis instead of public transport during the COVID-19 pandemic?

At present the TAC is not replacing public transport funding with taxis. The TAC encourages client to exercise caution and safe social distancing when catching public transport. The Department of Health provides advice on managing your health and staying safe in relation to COVID-19.

What is the TAC’s position on elective surgery?

The TAC is following the Federal Government’s advice that non urgent elective surgery will be temporarily suspended.

We’re advising physicians, surgeons and the hospitals providing treatment that they are responsible for following the government regulations and letting their patients know about the status of their surgery.

If you have a question about your own surgery, please contact your treating physician, surgeon or hospital for more information.

Will the TAC pay for telehealth?

To help you continue to get the treatment you need, we have introduced temporary funding of telehealth services.

This means you may be able to have transport accident related medical appointments from home. This could be over the phone or by video conferencing. Speak to your provider about your options.

Telehealth services can only be delivered to TAC clients in Australia (not overseas), even if the provider is delivering the service from Australia.

Tips for video conferencing

The University of Queensland has developed a fact sheet to help people get the most from their telehealth appointment. It is available on the Centre for Online Health website.

Can I still get support from my case management, outreach services or Network Pain Management Program provider?

To reduce the spread of COVID-19, most case managers and all outreach service providers have stopped working with clients face to face where possible. During this time some service providers are working with their clients over the phone or via video conferencing. Clients should talk to their case manager, outreach service provider or Network Pain Management Program provider to work out a plan that best suits individual needs. Also, remember that a lot of service providers may be working with less staff or might need to prioritise other clients during the pandemic, so please be patient with your provider.

What is the TAC’s position on Independent Medical Examinations and Joint Medical Examinations during the COVID-19 crisis?

In the health interest of clients, examiners and the broader Victorian community, it is the TAC’s preference that face to face medico-legal examinations (IMEs and JMEs) do not go ahead during the COVID-19 crisis and instead be undertaken by video-conference or desktop assessment where practical, or be postponed where a physical examination is necessary.

However, where a client and examiner consent to an examination in person, then the TAC respects their choice to proceed with the examination.

The TAC is committed to maintaining and delivering client entitlements throughout this time and will work with examiners and clients to facilitate this.

Where appointments have already been made and your preference is not to attend an examination in person, please send us a message using our Contact us online form and a TAC staff member will call you to discuss suitable alternative arrangements. (If using the form is unworkable for you, call us on at 1300 654 329 to leave a message and a TAC staff member will return your call.)