A future where every journey is a safe one

After your accident videos

These short videos are a guide to how the TAC works and provide some general information to help you get back on your feet.

For more information related to your specific situation, please call us on 1300 654 329.

Support services

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0016/154060/Support_Services-web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0018/154071/support-services.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0003/154065/TAC_SUPPORT_SERVICES_EDITED.srt
Show video transcript

Hi. I'm Shane. I stacked my car
a couple of months ago.

I made a mess of my teeth
and fractured my collarbone,

and I've been back and forth,

from the doc's to the dentist,
getting fixed up.

I put in a claim to the TAC -
the Transport Accident Commission.

When I was approved, I sent in
all my receipts with a form,

plus a couple of bills
I hadn't paid yet.

They did the rest.

WOMAN: I ran into a tram
riding my bike to uni

and the TAC paid my hospital bill.

I'm a student, so I have to
be careful with my money.

Before I start any new treatment,
I always check with the TAC.

That way, I can be sure
they'll pay for it.

WOMAN: My daughter, my 10-year-old,

was hit by a car reversing
out of a concealed driveway,

and she's still in the hospital.

The TAC are refunding
my travel costs to visit her

and they're covering her...
her hospital bills.

Some idiot slammed on the brakes
for no good reason.

Next thing I know, I'm in hospital.

Di here was in the passenger seat.

She strained the muscles
in her back and her neck,

so she's been off her feet
for a while too.

The TAC paid the hospital
and ambulance for both of us.

They did that direct.

I could hardly move
for the first few weeks,

but fortunately
they gave us the go-ahead

to get someone to help in the house.

We had to keep the receipts
for that,

but then they refunded the money

into our bank account.

Paperwork. Bad as work.


And after the first five days
that Brian was off work,

they started paying his salary.

- Not all of it.
- 80%!

Anyway, the sooner
you get back to work, the better.

We're here to provide support

for people injured
in transport accidents.

If you've recently been
involved in an accident,

you've probably been through
some tough times,

so we want to make the process
as smooth as possible from here on.

The assistance
we are able to provide

includes payment for treatment,
prescription drugs,

certain travel and support services

needed as a result
of a transport accident.

We can also provide compensation
for loss of income.

When your TAC claim was approved,

you will have been given
a claim number.

You should quote this
whenever you're in contact with us.

Before you start a new treatment
or use a new service,

always call the TAC

to ensure that we will pay for it.

We'll also need information from
your treating health professionals

to confirm the treatment

is for injuries
resulting from your accident

and is effective
in helping you recover.

The TAC can pay for the reasonable cost of medical treatment, rehabilitation services, disability services, travel and household support services that you may need as a result of your accident injuries.

This video provides an overview of these treatment and support services. More detailed information is available in the Treatment and support services section of our website.

What the TAC will pay for

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0006/154059/What_The_TAC_Will_Pay_For-web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0017/154070/what-will-the-tac-pay-for.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0004/154066/TAC_WHAT_THE_TAC_WILL_PAY_FOR_EDITED.srt
Show video transcript

After my accident, I had a heap
of expenses - dental, medical.

The TAC paid for
pretty much everything

that was a direct result
of the accident.

A couple of bits of advice.

Check with the TAC
before you start any new treatment

to make sure you're covered.

Chiropractors, physios and so on
are OK,

but they won't cover some of
the more alternative stuff,
like massage,

unless it's provided by a
registered health-care professional.

Number two,
you may have to pay an excess.

After I ran into the tram
on my bike,

the TAC paid for the ambulance,

the hospital bills
and my prescriptions.

When I couldn't ride,
they paid for the transport

to my medical appointments.

At the end of semester,

I'm supposed to fly to Vietnam
to visit my grandparents.

I thought I could continue
my medical treatment there,

but the TAC only cover treatment
within Australia,

so I've postponed my flights
by a few weeks.

My daughter, Samantha
is still in hospital

and she'll be here
for at least another week,

and then we're looking at
months of rehab after that,

which the TAC are paying for,

so that's one less thing
to worry about.

Oh, they also replaced the glasses
that she broke in the accident.

After the accident,

I started feeling really stressed
about getting back on my bike.

I talked to my doctor and she
suggested I get some counselling.

Talking to the psychologist
is really helping,

and the TAC pays the bills.

They wouldn't replace my golf clubs
that were damaged in the accident.

The won't shout me a taxi
to get to the golf club.

They're paying for the hire
of your wheelchair.

Or Eddie to do that thing
he did with my knees.

A good thing too -
he's not qualified.

And those drugs the doctor gave me,
they aren't doing anything.

Oh, for goodness sake!
Have a word with him.

You don't just keep taking the stuff
'cause it's free.

I started seeing a physiotherapist
after the accident

and she helped me develop
an exercise program

to get me moving again.

Never missed a day
with her exercises.

Well, it was painful at first,
but it got easier.

The physio also gave me
helpful suggestions

about how to organise the tasks
around the house

so as not to overdo it,

and I'm starting to get back
to my daily walks.

The TAC looks at each case

when determining what to pay.

Broadly, we pay for
the reasonable costs

of medical and treatment services,

including ambulance
and hospital services,

visits to your family doctor,

medicine prescribed by your doctor,

dental treatment, nursing services

and therapy services
such as chiropractic, osteopath,

psychology and physiotherapy.

Services must be provided by

a registered and appropriately
qualified health-care professional.

We also pay for
other support services,

including travel and accommodation

for families in rural areas

to visit an injured
family member in hospital.

We pay for:

A medical excess
may apply to some services.

We also can't pay for services
provided outside Australia

or for services
that have no clear benefit to you.

Nor do we pay for services
unrelated to your accident.

Nah, they wouldn't come at bills
from the physio

for my old football injury.

The TAC does not pay for alternative
therapies such as naturopathy,

unless provided by a registered
health-care professional.

The TAC will only pay for treatments
as long as you are improving.

You should ask yourself
from time to time

if your treatment plan is working
or needs to be reviewed.

If you have concerns,

discuss them with your doctor
or health-care professional.

we can only pay for a service

if you claim within two years
of receiving the service,

so play it safe
and get straight onto it.

This video explains the different types of treatment and support the TAC pays for and information about how to make a claim for them.

For more detailed information, visit the What the TAC pays for section of our website.

Medical excess

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0005/154058/Medical_Excess-web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0019/154072/medical-excess.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0019/156007/MEDICAL_EXCESS_EDITED_02.srt
Show video transcript

The usual deal with insurance is

you pay the first...however many
dollars - the excess.

Well, it's the same with the TAC.

To be fair, they covered my hospital
and ambulance costs outright.

The excess didn't apply there.

Lucky for me,
I didn't need to pay any excess.

The hospital kept me in overnight
for observation,

and if you are admitted
as an inpatient, there's no excess,

even for services you need later.

Actually, I got most of
my doctors' bills back on Medicare.

I had to keep my receipts, and
when they got to the excess limit,

I got a form from the TAC,

sent it in with a statement
from Medicare

explaining which services
I'd paid for.

After that,
they covered everything else

that related to
my accident injuries.

They didn't admit Di
to hospital.

She was treated as an outpatient, so
I suppose we had to pay the excess.

No, actually we didn't.

If one member of the family
is admitted,

other members of the family
who were involved in that accident

don't have to pay the excess either.

And because you were admitted as an
inpatient, neither of us had to pay.

So if we'd both been treated
as outpatients,

we both would have had to pay
the excess?

No, darling,
it only applies once per family.

And anyway, I'd have claimed it
on our private health insurance.

The medical excess applies
to out-of-hospital services,

including visits to your family
doctor, pharmacy items, therapy,

nursing and dental services,
glasses and hearing aids.

Even if you weren't admitted
as an inpatient,

the excess does not apply to
ambulance or hospital services.

I went to hospital, but I wasn't
admitted as an inpatient.

The TAC paid for
my ambulance and hospital

and the excess didn't kick in
till I got home.

The medical excess
does not need to be paid

more than once per family
for the same accident

and if one family member
is admitted to hospital,

it will not apply
to other family members.

The medical excess form is
available from the TAC website

or by calling us on 1300 654 329.

If your accident was before 14 February 2018 you may need to reach a medical excess. The medical excess is the amount of treatment and support services you are responsible for before the TAC can start to pay. It does not apply to everyone.

This video provides an overview of the medical excess and who it applies to. More information is available in the Medical excess section of our website.

How to make a claim

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0020/154055/How_To_Claim-web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0006/154086/how-to-claim.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0020/154055/How_To_Claim-web.mp4
Show video transcript

I'd already spent a heap
at the dentist

before I realised
I could claim from the TAC.

If I'd been thinking straight,

I would have checked with the TAC
before I'd started my treatment.

As soon as I'd met
the TAC's medical excess,

they paid for
just about everything else.

I just sent in all my receipts
with a form.

That's what you have to do if you
paid for the services yourself

and you want the money refunded.

The TAC paid the refund
direct into my bank account.

I still do that with some stuff,

like when I get a prescription
from the pharmacy.

On the other hand,
next time I see the dentist,

I'll just get him
to send the bill to the TAC

and they can pay him direct.

My doctor sends her bills straight
to the TAC and they pay her direct.

The only thing I have to send in
is my pharmacy receipts.

Well, my daughter's
still in hospital

and they bill the TAC directly,

but I have to fill in
a travel expenses declaration form

for transport
to and from the hospital.

And I just download that
from the net.

Nothing's ever easy, is it?

Forms, claim numbers, receipts.

It's really not that hard.

The hospitals and doctors
and so forth

can send the bills
direct to the TAC.

Or if you've paid the bill, then you
send in the receipt for a refund.

Internet, electronic funds transfer.

You don't have to use the internet.

If you phone them,
they send out the forms you need.

We only had to give them
our bank account details once,

and the money goes straight in.

Saves one of us
having to go to the bank.

MAN: If you're unsure whether the
TAC will cover a service or cost,

call us to check
before you begin treatment.

If your health-care provider
bills us directly,

there's nothing more
you need to do financially.

If you pay the bill yourself, send
the receipt to us for reimbursement.

If you pay a bill for travel,
household support services,

child care services
or pharmacy items,

send the receipt to us
with the relevant reimbursement form

and we'll refund
all reasonable costs.

The forms are available
from our website or by phoning us.

The TAC pays all refunds directly
into your nominated bank account.

You have two years from
when you pay for a service

to claim payment from the TAC.

This video explains how to claim treatment and support costs from the TAC.

You can find detailed information about how to claim specific treatment and support services in the What the TAC pays for section of our website.

How we make decisions

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0003/154047/How_the_TAC_makes_decisions-web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0008/154088/how-we-make-descisions.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0019/154063/TAC_HOW_THE_TAC_MAKES_DECISIONS.srt
Show video transcript

We recognise
that every case is different

and in making decisions,
we will ask for information

from you, your doctor
and other health-care professionals.

Sometimes the TAC may seek
an independent medical opinion,

and you may be asked
to attend a medical examination.

The TAC is required
to follow Victorian legislation

called the Transport Accident Act,

The TAC also has policies
and guidelines,

which our staff
are required to follow.

These are on our website or you can
phone us to request a copy.

If you are not satisfied
with any decision,

you should contact the TAC
to discuss your concerns.

If the problem is not resolved,

we can let you know what you need to
do to have the decision reviewed.

The TAC treats all information
about you in strict confidence,

and is committed
to protecting your privacy.

We are also committed
to providing you

with an efficient, helpful
and professional service.

Our service charter sets out
the standard of service

that you can expect from the TAC.

You can find this charter
on the TAC website

or call us to request a copy.

If you believe that we have not
met our service standards,

or if you have any concerns with
the way your claim is being managed,

you can contact
our Customer Service Centre

to have a complaint form
sent out to you.

This video explains how the TAC makes decisions about your claim.

Income support

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0003/154056/Income_Support-web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0020/154073/income-support.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0020/156008/INCOME_SUPPORT_EDITED_02.srt
Show video transcript

I'm self-employed.

The TAC's accountants
averaged out my earnings

from the last three years.

Took them a few weeks
to work it out,

but they paid me a standard amount
every week to keep me going.

My mate's got a small business.

And when he got hurt, the TAC paid

for someone else to keep things
running for him.

As soon as I could,
I started back on half days,

just to ease back into things.

It's great to see the boys again

and good to think about
something other than my injuries.

Of course, the reduced workload
meant reduced earnings

and the TAC paid some income support
to help cover the difference

until I was fully back into it.

Of course,
I couldn't work after the accident.

Sick leave took care
of the first little bit.

And then the TAC
started to pay me income support.

And they reimbursed his employer

with all but the first five days
of his sick leave.

And you're getting 80%
of your salary.

Anyhow, the office can't do
without me for much longer.

I've told them that I'll do
a couple of hours a week

starting from next week
and build up from there.

You'll let the TAC know
what you're doing?

Of course.

Getting back to work is
an important part of your recovery

after an accident.

The TAC can pay
for a range of services and benefits

to help you return to work
as soon as possible.

These include income support,
travel assistance,

employer incentives
and vocational advice.

I work two nights a week
in a restaurant.

And for the first three weeks
after the accident,

I couldn't actually work at all.

The first five days of lost work
the TAC couldn't do anything about,

but after that they gave me
the full amount in income support

because my income
is below a certain amount.

I still can't use my right hand
to carry plates and so on,

but I've talked to the owners

and they're happy
just to have me back

and do the till and take phone
orders until I'm fully recovered.

The TAC will pay
temporary income support

if you were working full-time,
part-time, or casually

before the accident.

In some cases, we can pay
even if you are unemployed.

If you are self-employed
or run a business,

we can pay income support or money
towards someone to replace you.

This support is temporary.

It's until you recover enough
to return to work.

The amount payable
depends on your circumstances

but most people can expect

80% of what they were earning
before the accident.

There are upper limits,
which depend on your circumstances.

If you earn less
than a certain amount,

we may pay more than 80%,
and even up to 100%.

If you return to work part-time

or for less hours
than you used to work,

we will generally pay 85%
of the reduction in income.

We understand that different people
have different working arrangements,

and the legislation in this area
covers a wide range of situations.

If you believe you may
qualify for income support,

call us and we'll explain
what you need to do.

If you have a query

about whether the TAC will pay for
a particular treatment or service,

about how to claim, or about
any matter concerning the TAC,

you can phone us on 1300 654 329.

You may like to check out
our website first -


Loss of earnings benefits is a temporary income support while you recover enough to return to work.

This video explains how the TAC can pay you loss of earnings benefits while you are unable to return to work because of your accident injuries. More information is available in the Work and income section of our website.

Frequently asked questions

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/video_file/0006/153996/FAQs_web.mp4 https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0007/154087/FAQ.png https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0018/154062/TAC_FAQS.srt
Show video transcript

Here are some of the questions that we are most often asked,

but remember, every case is different.

You should contact us for more detail about anything you think may apply to you.

I've sent in my receipts and my expenses form to the TAC.

How long will it take to repay me?

It can take up to 10 working days for us to reimburse you, and the funds will be directly transferred into your bank account.

Why do I speak to a different person every time I call the TAC?

Your first point of contact will always be with one of our Client Service Officers.

They have extensive knowledge of the TAC and can answer most of your questions.

Welcome to the TAC. This is Erin.

How can I help you?

WOMAN: Your Claims Manager makes decisions about your treatment and payment of support services.

There may be other TAC people involved in your claim, each with specialist skills in certain areas.

What exactly is meant by the term 'impairment'?

An impairment is a permanent
physical or psychological condition

resulting from
your transport accident.

In other words, it's an injury

that you'll never
completely recover from.

I left a message
with my Claims Manager this morning.

How long do you think it'll take him
to get back to me?

You can expect a call back
within one working day,

or if you write to us, we'll respond
within 10 working days.

Uh, I read about damages somewhere.

Yeah - what are damages?

If you're seriously injured
in a transport accident

and it was somebody else's fault,

you may be able to receive
a damages payment.

This only applies
if your injuries are serious

and there's somebody else at fault
who can be sued.

Yeah, I'm already getting my medical
bills paid by you guys,

so what's the payment for?

It's for pain and suffering
and loss of enjoyment of life,

so it needs to be a serious injury.

It's also for long-term
financial loss.


What if I don't agree
with a decision?

Your first step
should be to contact us.

We'll explain the decision to you

and try to address
some of your concerns.

And if I'm still not satisfied?

There are a number of other options
available to you.

One of our Client Service Officers
can explain these to you.


Who else gets to see
all this information I've sent you?

The TAC treats all information
about you in strict confidence.

If you'd like some more information,
I can get you a brochure.

So, is there anything else
I can help you with?

I'll probably think of something
when I get home.

Well, you have the brochure
and the website,

and you're always free to contact
a Client Service Officer.


This video answers some of the most common questions TAC clients have about the TAC.