Support when a person dies

Start Navigation [Current Level] End Navigation [Current Level]

TAC support when a person dies

Current from 1 July 2020

Losing a family member in a transport accident is a traumatic and difficult experience. The TAC can help by providing information, financial support and advice.

How the TAC can help

We can provide support with funeral costs and counselling services. We can also provide financial support for dependants.

The types of benefits available to you will depend on your family’s circumstances. For most benefits, there are limits to how much we can pay.

We follow legislation, called the Transport Accident Act 1986, to manage the benefits you are eligible for.

This brochure provides a summary of TAC benefits. It also explains what you need to do to access TAC support.

Accessing TAC support

To access TAC support, you will need to complete a Funeral and Dependency Benefits Claim Form.

This form asks for information about the person who has died and the accident. We use this information to work out which benefits you are entitled to and how we can support you.

Getting help

A TAC support coordinator in the Family Benefits Team can help you to understand and access TAC benefits.

The support coordinator is also available to help you complete the claim form and can explain what other information you may need to give us.

Your support coordinator can also give you information and referrals for non-TAC funded services.

If you have any questions, or would like more information, please call our Family Benefits Team directly on 03 5225 6200.

TAC benefits

The types of benefits we can pay for are explained on the following pages.

The amounts in this brochure apply for the period 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021. These amounts are updated each year.

Support with funeral and monument expenses

We can pay the reasonable costs for a funeral and monument, up to $16,200 (inclusive of GST).

Support with family counselling

We can pay for family counselling services. This benefit is available to the spouse or partner, parents, children, grandparents, brothers and sisters of the person who has died.

To be eligible, a doctor, a registered psychologist or qualified social worker must provide the counselling service. We can pay up to $17,190 per family.

If you or a family member sustained a mental injury as a result of the death, you may be eligible to make your own claim in relation to that injury.

Support for a dependent spouse or partner

If your spouse or domestic partner was contributing to your family’s income or caring for your children, we can provide some financial support to help you cope. A“domestic partner” is a person who is in a registered relationship with the person or who is living as a couple with the person (regardless of their gender).

Lump sum payment

We can pay a one-off lump sum benefit up to $192,720. The amount we pay will depend on the person’s age, family circumstances or any prior impairment payments.

Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible to receive other benefits. Please see below for more information.

As well as a lump sum payment, a dependent partner may receive a fortnightly benefit and/or support at home.

The benefit you receive will depend on what your partner’s responsibilities were before the accident.

If your partner was employed and providing financial support, we can pay an ongoing, regular payment, equivalent to 80% of your partner’s earnings, up to a maximum of $1,430 gross per week.

You may be eligible for this benefit even if you were working at the time of the accident. To claim these benefits, you will need to provide information about your partner’s income.


If your partner was caring for children or responsible for housework, we can contribute to the cost of employing a person to help out with the childcare and household tasks that your partner was responsible for.

There are limits to how many hours a week, how long and how much we can pay.

Support for dependent children

Please note: These benefits will not apply if the child’s surviving parent is first entitled to a benefit as a dependent spouse or domestic partner.

If both parents, a sole parent or a supporting parent died in the accident, payments can be made for the dependent children of the deceased.

The dependent children may receive the following benefits.

Lump sum payment

We can pay a one-off lump sum of up to $192,720 to the dependent children. The amount we pay will depend on the person who died and their family circumstances. This sum is held with the State Trustees until the children reach 18.

A dependent child is defined as being under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 25 years and a full-time student, but does not include a child who has a spouse or partner.

If there is more than one dependent child, this lump sum will be divided equally between the dependent children.

Fortnightly payment

We can pay the legal guardian $200 gross each week for each dependent child under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 18 years and a full-time student.

Education allowance

We can pay an education allowance of $3,070 per year to the legal guardian for each full-time student, up to 18 years of age.

Travel and accommodation expenses to attend a funeral, burial or cremation

We can pay up to $5,400 per family to cover the reasonable cost of travel and accommodation for immediate family members to go to the funeral.

This benefit can be paid for accidents that happened on or after 14 December 2016 and if the family member lives more than 100kms from the place where the funeral, burial or cremation is held.

More information about this benefit is available on our website or by calling 1300 654 329.