Occupational Therapy

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you recover we will pay for occupational therapy provided in Australia.

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for this treatment  without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of this treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

When we can pay for occupational therapy

In the first 90 days after your accident, you can see an occupational therapist for the treatment for your injuries without the need for you to contact us first.

After the first 90 days, you will need TAC approval to see your occupational therapist.

When needed, we will also work with your treating team to help them organise the occupational services and support you need.

We may contact your therapist to discuss your progress or request an assessment to make sure that:

  • You have access to the most appropriate treatment and support.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn't helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

Other services you can access

Your occupational therapist may recommend a number of services to assist you, including equipment you might need.

We will pay for these services when they are recommended by your therapist and are part of your treatment plan.

Treatments and services we can’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What do occupational therapists do?

Occupational therapists are trained to help you take part in everyday activities and live a more independent life after injury or illness.

Services provided by your occupational therapist may include:

  • Working out what you can do and identifying areas you may need support
  • Developing goals, strategies, equipment or a treatment program to improve your functional ability
  • Assessing and reporting your daily living needs.

For more information, see:

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your treatment:

  • Directly to your occupational therapist, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your provider charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference. For a list of TAC rates, see:

If your accident was before 14 February 2018, we can only pay for these services once any required medical excess has been reached. Find out if the medical excess applies to you.

For providers

If you are an occupational therapist, please refer to our TAC Provider Guidelines.