These guidelines should be read in conjunction with our General provider guidelines.
Who can provide audiology services?
You can provide services if you are an audiologist who is clinically certified by Audiology Australia.
What we can pay for
We have approved and can pay the reasonable costs of your patient’s audiology services immediately after a transport accident when they are required as a result of a transport accident injury.
We will review our client’s treatment to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We'll ask you and our client for information during these reviews and may temporarily stop funding treatment if we don’t receive it.
Reviews help us understand our client’s injuries, treatment needs and goals and how to best support them to get their life back on track. After a review we’ll let you and our client know the decision regarding further treatment.
We can pay for:
- Audiology assessments and reviews,
- Audiograms, air conduction,
- Impedance audiograms not associated with other tests,
- Provision of basic equipment.
We require written approval for:
- Provision of hearing devices – use the Hearing Device Request Form to request a hearing device for your patient.
- Specialised equipment. Please read our Medical and rehabilitation equipment guidelines and use the Equipment Prescription Form to submit written requests.
Other things to note
For accidents that occurred prior to 14 February 2018 a medical excess may apply. Visit the medical excess page to see if it applies to your patient. If the medical excess applies you will need to invoice the client directly.
If your patient has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services may form part of the independence planning process between the patient's treating team and our TAC coordinator.
If your patient already has an individualised funding package, audiology services may be included as part of that.
Gap in treatment
If our client has not received treatment in 6 months they will need to seek approval from us before we will pay for further treatment. Ask our client for a copy of their approval if you haven’t seen them in 6 months.
How much we can pay
We can pay for services in line with our Audiology fees.
What we cannot pay for
We cannot pay for:
- Services provided by an audiometrist.
- Services where CMBS items are used and there is no supervising medical practitioner.