An overview for medical practitioners, physiotherapists and psychologists
Network pain management programs are part of the TAC's commitment to achieving better health and return to work outcomes for injured Victorians.
Network pain management programs aim to help TAC clients manage their musculoskeletal injuries and persistent pain, and increase their independence at home, at work and in the community.
Network pain management programs help TAC clients develop strategies to:
- stay at or return to work
- manage their injuries
- adjust and cope with their pain and injuries
- reduce and rationalise medications, where possible
Network pain management program providers deliver outpatient, multidisciplinary assessments and programs for TAC clients with persistent pain. Providers are located across Melbourne and have skills and experience in pain management and compensable medicine.
Who can be treated?
Network pain management programs may be appropriate for patients who have:
- an accepted TAC claim
- persistent pain and musculoskeletal injuries
- tried a range of other medical and allied health services, and
- difficulties functioning at home, work or in the community due to their pain.
If your patient meets these criteria, referring them to a network pain management program may benefit both you and your patient.
Benefits for your patient
Network pain management programs provide your patient with the following benefits:
- access to a coordinated team of healthcare professionals with skills and experience in managing TAC clients and injured workers, managing pain, and focusing on staying at or getting back to work
- fast tracked access to pain management (usually within 4 weeks of approval)
- a comprehensive multidisciplinary assessment, tailored program and follow-up reviews
- a bio-psycho-social approach incorporating
- CBT addressing beliefs, thoughts and expectations as well as managing distress
- Graduated activity including reducing rest, increasing activity despite pain
- Education about pain, medication, physical activity and return to work
- Lifestyle modifications related to goal setting, pacing and communication
- guidance and clear explanation about TAC and VWA policies and procedures
- no out-of-pocket costs as the TAC will be billed directly for the assessment and program, if your patient has an approved claim.
Benefits for you
Network pain management programs provide you with the following benefits:
- One stop approval: with the assessment and program requiring a single approval allowing faster access into the program
- your patient will undergo a comprehensive medical and multidisciplinary assessment and program by the network pain management program provider
- continued involvement in your patient’s management. The network pain management program provider will consult with you at key stages of your patient’s assessment and program
- regular updates on your patient’s progress. You will receive copies of comprehensive written reports prepared by the provider for the TAC including medication and other treatment planning and intervention
Making a referral
If you would like to refer your patient to a network pain management program, please refer to the list of providers below. You will need to write a referral letter to the relevant provider specifying your patient’s injuries and the anticipated goals and outcomes of the program for your patient.
Please note that network pain management program providers will only accept referrals from a TAC client’s medical practitioner, physiotherapist or psychologist.
For more information
If you’d like more information about a network pain management program please phone the TAC.
Network Pain Management Providers
Private community providers
Level 1, 157 Scoresby Road, Boronia
Phone: 03 9839 3300 Fax: 03 8414 2816
La Trobe University Medical Centre, Corner of Plenty Road and Kingsbury Drive, Bundoora
Phone: 03 9473 878 Fax: 03 8414 284
86 Princes Highway, Norlane
Phone: 03 4242 4711 Fax: 03 7000 5029
Symmetry Physiotherapy 333 Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing
Phone: 03 9369 4999 Fax: 03 8779 8905
1/30-32 East Esplanade, St Albans
Phone: 03 9367 5436 Fax: 03 8414 2817
Precision Ascend Pain Management
Phone: 03 8862 0062 Fax: 03 9816 8564
Wyndham Private, 242 Hoppers Lane, Werribee
73 Kooyoong Road, Caulfield North
31-37 Keilor Road, Essendon
Frankston Private Hospital, Level 3 / 5 Susono Way, Frankston
Empower Rehab Pty Ltd
Phone: 03 9459 3344 Fax: 03 9459 8375
Suite 1, 18 Bell Street, Heidelberg Heights
847 Ferntree Gully Road, Wheelers Hill
5 Stanlake Street, Footscray
Private hospital providers
Dorset Rehabilitation Centre
146 Derby Street, Pascoe Vale
Phone: 03 8371 9424 Fax: 03 8371 9460
888 Toorak Road, Camberwell
Phone: 03 9809 2444 Fax: 03 9889 6756
89 Bridge Road, Richmond
Phone: 03 9426 8702 Fax: 03 9426 8742
85 Wilson St, Brighton
Phone: 03 9591 9200 Fax: 03 9593 1276
The Victorian Rehabilitation Centre
499 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley
Phone: 03 9566 2727 Fax: 03 9566 2479