These guidelines should be read in conjunction with our General provider guidelines.
Who can carry out independent medical examinations?
Independent medical examinations and TAC requested medico-legal reports can only be provided by an Independent Medical Examiner (IME) approved by us from one of the following professions:
- medical practitioner
- occupational therapist
What we can pay for
We can help pay the reasonable costs of examinations we request to determine a client’s initial or ongoing entitlement under the Transport Accident Act 1986.
Requirements for independent medico-legal reports include:
- The report should include answers to the specific questions relevant to the management of a client’s claim. We will have forwarded these questions to you as part of our request for the report. If any questions are not applicable or are unable to be answered, you should document this in the report.
- The report should be thorough and integrate information from your clinical examination, history obtained and review of other available medical and non-medical information.
- The basis of any opinions expressed in your report should be explained to assist non-medical users of your report to understand your opinion.
Other requirements include:
- Your invoice, with the relevant TAC item number, should be submitted with the report.
- The report should be submitted to us within 10 working days after the examination. If this timeframe cannot be met, please contact us.