Many TAC service providers can get paid quickly and easily by sending digital invoices through LanternPay, the TAC’s online payment platform.
Benefits of using LanternPay
- Instantly confirm your patient’s eligibility for TAC services before you treat or bill
- Submit a digital invoice
- View payment decisions immediately
- Receive payment for approved invoices the next business day
- Use your desktop, tablet or smartphone to send invoices and keep track of accounts
LanternPay is the fastest and most efficient way to get paid when you treat TAC clients. There are no setup costs or ongoing monthly fees, just a low 1.45% fee per successful transaction.
To register, visit lanternpay.com/providers
Who is eligible to use LanternPay
You can invoice via LanternPay for the following service types:
- driving instruction
- exercise physiology (select 'physical educator' from drop-down list when adding service provider)
- interpreting services
- medical (excluding surgery)
- occupational therapy
- podiatry and orthotic
- psychiatry (select 'doctor' from drop-down list when adding service provider)
- radiology and pathology (select 'doctor' from drop-down list when adding service provider)
- social work
- speech therapy
- TAC-requested medical and treater reports
- vocational rehabilitation services
Items not eligible for LanternPay include home services and equipment.
Tips for using LanternPay
Always check LanternPay before you treat a TAC client (on the day of treatment if possible) for the most up-to-date and accurate information about a TAC client’s eligibility to receive TAC funded services.
1. Prepare your invoice. Create an invoice in LanternPay that includes the client, provider and service item(s).
2. Check for a message. During invoice creation, you will see a message if the service or claim amount is ineligible. The message will indicate why and what action may be needed. If the invoice appears as usual with no messages, you can feel confident to deliver the treatment or service
3. Submit your invoice. Once you’ve delivered the treatment or service, use LanternPay to (re-create if necessary and) submit the invoice. You will receive a message to tell you if the client is not eligible to receive TAC-funding for any of the service items.
4. Get paid fast. For all approved claims you’ll receive a message confirming the invoice has been successfully submitted for payment and you’ll be paid via LanternPay the next business day.
A client’s approval status can change. Please follow the steps above each time you see a TAC client, even if you’ve previously been paid for delivering the same service to the same client.
As you prepare your invoice you may receive an on-screen 'invoice message' if a service will not be paid. The table below provides an explanation of these messages and what action you can take.
|Invoice message||Payment outcome||Reason for payment outcome||What action to take|
|"Quantity can only be set to one for this service"||Rejected||This service cannot be billed in multiple quantities. A separate invoice line is required for each individual service.||Re-enter this invoice using a quantity of "1". If you have provided this service over multiple dates, you may need to enter different line items with the specific date of service. Only one service can be delivered per day.|
|"Not payable: paid on previous invoice (Claim Number, Invoice Number, Date of Paid Service)”||Rejected||Multiple items for the same service for the same client on the same day cannot be paid.||This invoice is a duplicate and has already been paid. We recommend you check your previously claimed invoices. If you have any concerns, please contact us on 1300 654 329.|
|"More information needed to consider this service. Visit tac.vic.gov.au/|
|Rejected||The client needs TAC approval for this service.||Click here to find out what information we need to consider paying for this service.|
|"Decision made: service will not be paid"||Rejected||The client is not approved for this service and payment will not be made.||You should receive a letter from us explaining why this service will not be paid. If you have any questions about this letter or did not receive the letter, please contact us on 1300 654 329.|
|"Paid at reduced rate, contact TAC"||Rejected||The client needs approval for the full cost of this service and treatment.||If this invoice is submitted, you will receive the reduced rate of payment. If you want to query the rate, please contact us on 1300 654 329.|
|"Not payable: more than 2 years since date of service"||Rejected||Payment will not be made as this service was delivered more than 2 years ago.||Please do not submit this invoice as it will not be paid. If you have any queries, please contact us on 1300 654 329.|