These guidelines should be read in conjunction with the information at Working with the TAC.

Who can provide acupuncture services?

You can provide services if:

  • You are registered as a Chinese medicine practitioner in the Division of Acupuncturists under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, or
  • Your registration is endorsed under section 97 of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law as being qualified to practice as an acupuncturist. For example, if you are endorsed by the Osteopathy or Physiotherapy Boards of Australia.

What we can pay for

Within the first 90 days of a client’s accident, we can help pay for acupuncture without the need for you or the client to contact us for approval first. The treatment or service must be recommended by a health professional, related to the client’s accident injuries and delivered in line with the Clinical Framework.

If you intend to continue treating a TAC client beyond 90 days after their transport accident you must complete an Allied Health Treatment and Recovery Plan to request further approval. We will review our client’s treatment to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We will assess your request and let you and the client know our decision about what we can help pay for and for how long.

If our client has not received treatment in 6 months they will need to seek approval from us before we will pay for further treatment. Ask our client for a copy of their approval if you haven’t seen them in 6 months.

For details see What we can pay for and How to seek TAC approval.

Acupuncture services

We can help pay for:

  • Acupuncture consultations (laser or needle based).
  • Provision of basic equipment. Our approval is required for specialised equipment. Use the Equipment Prescription Form to submit written requests.

Other things to note

Concurrent treatments

Concurrent allied health treatments are not generally recommended to treat the same injury. This is line with the principles of the Clinical Framework. There can be some exceptions, such as group exercise.

If you or your patient believe concurrent allied health treatments are necessary, please contact us to discuss their needs.

Medical excess

For accidents that occurred prior to 14 February 2018 a medical excess may apply.  Visit the medical excess page to see if it applies to your patient.  If the medical excess applies you will need to invoice the client directly.

Patients with a severe injury

If your patient has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services may form part of the independence planning process between your patient's treating team and our TAC coordinator.

If your patient already has an individualised funding package, acupuncture services may be included as part of that.

How much we can pay

We can pay for services in line with our Chinese medicine (acupuncture) fees.

If your fee is higher than our fee, you may choose to charge the client the difference in the form of a gap payment.

What we cannot pay for

We cannot pay for:

  • Any form of treatment from a Chinese medicine practitioner other than acupuncture, such as alternative therapy, Chinese herbs and medicines etc.
  • The cost of disposable acupuncture needles or dressings.
  • Services that are included in a hospital inpatient bed fee.

Also see general items we cannot pay for.

For more information

Access our policy for Allied health and physical therapies.