These guidelines should be read in conjunction with our General provider guidelines.
Who can provide acupuncture services?
You can provide services if:
- You are registered as a Chinese medicine practitioner in the Division of Acupuncturists under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, or
- Your registration is endorsed under section 97 of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law as being qualified to practice as an acupuncturist. For example, if you are endorsed by the Osteopathy or Physiotherapy Boards of Australia.
What we can pay for
Within the first 90 days of a client’s accident, we can help pay for acupuncture without the need for you or the client to contact us for approval first. The treatment or service must be recommended by a health professional, related to the client’s accident injuries and delivered in line with the Clinical Framework.
If you intend to continue treating a TAC client beyond 90 days after their transport accident you must complete an Allied Health Treatment and Recovery Plan to request further approval. We will review our client’s treatment to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We will assess your request and let you and the client know our decision about what we can help pay for and for how long.
If our client has not received treatment in 6 months they will need to seek approval from us before we will pay for further treatment. Ask our client for a copy of their approval if you haven’t seen them in 6 months.
We can help pay for:
- Acupuncture consultations (laser or needle based).
- Provision of basic equipment. Our approval is required for specialised equipment. Use the Equipment Prescription Form to submit written requests.
- Any form of treatment from a Chinese medicine practitioner other than acupuncture, such as alternative therapy, Chinese herbs and medicines etc.
- The cost of disposable acupuncture needles or dressings.
- Services that are included in a hospital inpatient bed fee.
For more information
Access our policy for Allied health and physical therapies.