Supporting you after a transport accident

Start Navigation [Current Level] End Navigation [Current Level]

About the TAC

The TAC is a Victorian government agency. We are here to support you after a transport accident. We can help you get the treatments and services you need, even if the accident was your fault. The money we use to support you comes from registration payments made by Victorian motorists to VicRoads.

Approved treatments and services we can pay for

After a transport accident there are some approved treatments and services we can pay for straight away. You don’t need to contact us first when a health professional recommends these treatments and services for your accident injuries.  See the list at

We’ll monitor your recovery progress and keep in touch with you and your providers. At times we may ask your provider for a copy of your treatment plan. This will help us make decisions about your treatment and how long we will pay for it.

How to get the treatments and services you need

Follow these steps to get approved treatments or services:

  • choose a healthcare provider for your treatment
  • call to make an appointment, let them know you are a TAC client
  • go to your appointment and give your provider your TAC claim number.

How we pay for your treatment

In most cases we can pay your provider directly. If you do have to pay for a treatment or service related to your transport accident injuries, keep a copy of your receipt and send it to us using the myTAC app. We will then reimburse you at the TAC rate.

Sometimes there is a maximum amount we can pay for each treatment or service. If your provider charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the provider the difference. Find out more at

If you can’t work after your accident

We understand that you may not be able to work because of your accident injuries. We can often pay income support while you recover. For more information visit or call us on 1300 654 329.

Return to work

Many people find getting back to work can play a big part in their recovery.

We are here to support you to get back to work as quickly and safely as possible. Find out how we can help at

Approved treatments and services for new TAC clients

Immediately after a transport accident we can pay for the treatment and services listed below. You don't need to contact us for initial approval if:

  • you have a TAC claim number
  • your doctor or other health professional recommends it, and
  • the treatment or service is for your accident injuries.

We'll check your progress to make sure your treatment is supporting your recovery. At times we may speak to your providers and ask for a copy of your treatment plan. This helps us to understand the treatment you need, what we can pay for and how long we can pay for it.

If it’s been more than 6 months since you had any treatment paid for by the TAC, call us first to discuss your needs.

Ambulance services

Transport from an accident to hospital; and from one hospital to another.

Hospital treatment

Treatment at a public, private or rehabilitation hospital.

Medical services/doctor appointments

Your doctor or GP can send you to see other health professionals, prescribe any medication you need, give you any certificates and reports you need and help you get back to work.

X-rays and scans

Medical imaging to diagnose your injury, this includes x-ray, CT scans, MRI and ultrasound.


You don’t need initial TAC approval for surgery within 3 months of your accident. 3 or more months after your accident, we will pay for a visit to your doctor to find out if you need surgery.


Medicine by prescription or recommended by your doctor and bought from a pharmacy.

Basic equipment and medical aids

Hire or purchase of basic items such as crutches, wound dressings, or hygiene products.

Community nursing

Community nurses come to your home after your accident. They provide general nursing care and will help with things like changing dressings and wound management.

Dental services

A dentist is a medical professional trained to treat injuries, diseases and conditions that affect the teeth, gums, jaw and mouth.

Rehabilitation services

Rehabilitation in hospital, at home or in the community.

Mental health and wellbeing services

Mental health services include treatment or counselling from psychiatrists, psychologists, neuropsychologists, social workers or your family doctor.

Travel and accommodation

Public transport or costs of kms travelled in a personal car to get to appointments related to your accident injuries. We may be able to pay for travel and accommodation for family members to visit injured loved ones.

Support for family members

We can pay parents for time off work if they need to visit their injured child in hospital. Family members can also get help with travel, accommodation and counselling.

Interpreting services

An interpreter will translate what you say to your doctor or health professional and help you understand what they are saying to you. We use accredited interpreters, who will make sure the full meaning of what you’re saying is understood.

Treatments and services that need approval

There are other treatments and services we may also pay for to support you after a transport accident.  These are listed below and require our approval.

We will work with you and your providers to plan your goals and give you ongoing support to coordinate the treatment and services you need.

If you would like to discuss any treatment options please call us on 1300 654 329.

Taxi travel

Contact us if you need taxi travel for medical appointments if you cannot use public transport or a personal car.

Support at home

This includes services like cleaning, childcare and gardening.

Attendant care

Attendant care and post acute support are support services which help you at home with things like showering, dressing and moving about. You can also get help with daily tasks like shopping or banking.

Additional disability support services

Disability support services give you more help to build your skills and independence. This includes Case Management, Outreach Services, Multiple and Complex Needs Model and Client Independence Skill Services

Assisted living accommodation

If it will be hard for you to live independently, we can pay for assisted living accommodation.

Community access support services

If you have more than one type of disability, you might need extra help to get back into the community.

Driving and vehicle modifications

To increase your independence and mobility, we can pay for driving programs or changes to your vehicle.

Guide and assistance dogs

Guide dogs help blind or visually impaired people avoid obstacles and hazards while moving about. Assistance dogs help people with a disability with tasks they can no longer do.

Surgery 3 months or more after your accident

We will need to talk to your doctor or health professional for this.

Evidence-based treatment

If your treating health professional recommends a new or non-established procedure or treatment, they will need to contact us.

Specialised equipment and medical aids

Things like medical grade beds, computers, hand rails, wheelchairs and life support equipment. These items need to be approved before they are purchased.

Individualised funding

If you have a severe injury you can choose if you want to organise and pay for your own treatments and services.

Education support services and returning to school

Education support services help you get back to your education at a level that is the same, or as close as possible, to the level you were at before your accident. These services are designed to be part of your overall rehabilitation program.

Home modifications

Home modifications are changes made to your home to improve your safety and independence. This could be something simple like a hand rail or access ramp or more complex major structural work.

Clinical notes and treatment reports

To make sure you get the treatments and services you need, we may ask for treatment reports or clinical notes from your doctor or treating team.

Gym/swim program

With a gym/swim program, you can do exercise-based rehabilitation on your own in a gym or pool. The aim of a gym/swim program is to help you manage your injuries without the need for regular treatment from your provider.

Massage therapy or myotherapy

We can consider paying for this when it's part of your treatment and performed by a registered physiotherapist, chiropractor or osteopath.

Pain management program

A Pain Management Program can help if you have an injury and experience pain that affects your physical and mental health, your ability to do the things that are important to you or leads you to take medicines that cloud your head and give you side effects.

When a family member dies

If you have lost a loved one in a transport accident we’re so sorry for your loss and are here to help. We offer financial support with funeral costs and counselling services and will give you as much information and advice as we can. Find out how we can help.