Dental services

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. We will pay for dental services, provided in Australia, that you need as a result of a transport accident. This includes surgery by an oral or maxillofacial surgeon.

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for this treatment without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of this treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

When can we pay for dental services

As dental services are a TAC approved treatment we will pay for you to visit a dentist, dental prosthetist, or an oral or maxillofacial surgeon for treatment, assessment and care planning immediately after your accident. You can also immediately access any radiology or diagnostic procedures required as part of this treatment.

If your dentures were damaged or lost in the accident, we can also pay for their repair or replacement.

To help you with your injuries, your dentist may also recommend treatments such as:

  • Partial or full dentures.
  • Dental implants and associated procedures, such as bone and soft tissue grafts.
  • Prosthodontics including the construction and insertion of an implant-supported prosthesis.

For more information on oral or maxillofacial surgery, see: Surgery and medical specialists.

We will, where appropriate, work with your treating team to make sure that you receive the dental services you need.

We may contact your dental services provider to discuss your progress or request an assessment to make sure that:

  • You have access to the most appropriate treatment and support.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn't helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

What we can pay for

Treatments and services that we can't pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What does my dentist do?

A dentist is trained to treat injuries, diseases and conditions that affect the teeth, gums, jaw and mouth.

Your dentist may be helped by a qualified dental technician, who assists with the design, manufacture, modification and repair of dentures, mouthguards, bridges and crowns.

For more information, see:

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your treatment:

  • Directly to your dentist, when you have provided them with your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your dental services, including consultations, implants, prosthodontics and implant based bridge maintenance according to our fee schedule. If your provider charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference.

For a list of TAC rates, see:

For accidents that happened before 14 February 2018, we can only pay for these services once any required medical excess has been reached. Find out if the medical excess applies to you.

For providers

If you are a dental services provider, please refer to our TAC Provider Guidelines.