Supporting our clients to achieve the best health outcomes possible is at the core of everything we do.
That is why we are moving to develop a value-based healthcare approach that delivers better outcomes, experience and value for all stakeholders.
Working in partnership with our clients and providers on our value-based healthcare journey, we will identify clear and consistent outcome measures and reporting methods. This clarity will improve the experiences of our clients and providers, and allow us to support the most effective care for the Victorian community.
At the TAC, supporting our clients in achieving the best health outcomes possible is at the core of everything we do.
That's why we are moving to develop a value-based healthcare approach to the delivery of TAC services.
Value-based healthcare gives patients more say in their treatment options to ensure they're getting the right support so they can identify and achieve the goals that matter most to them.
Providers work closely together in integrated multidisciplinary teams with the patient at the centre.
When providers focus on outcomes and collaboration, this approach ultimately delivers care more effectively and efficiently.
On our path to value-based healthcare, we will work in partnership with our clients and providers.
Together, we'll define clear, consistent outcome measures and reporting methods.
We'll co-design care pathways that drive quality service delivery and the best possible experiences and outcomes in an efficient way.
And a series of pilots will enable us to test and learn our approach as we go.
Finally, we'll scale up to a value-based healthcare service delivery model as the healthcare system evolves in this direction.
This will improve the experiences of our clients and providers and allow us to support the most effective care for the Victorian community.
Learn more at tac.vic.gov.au/vbhc
About value-based healthcare
Value-based healthcare is a patient-centric approach that seeks to support the delivery of health outcomes at a sustainable cost.
This approach aims to improve:
- The outcomes that matter to the patient
- The patient’s experience of care
- The provider’s experience of care
- The effectiveness and efficiency of care
Value-based healthcare gives patients more say in their treatment options and empowers them to identify and achieve the goals that matter most to them.
Providers communicate and work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, with the patient at the centre. Patients who have related circumstances and needs are identified. The provider team then designs and delivers solutions to those needs. They measure the health outcomes and costs for each patient and use that information to drive ongoing improvements.
As a result, the patient achieves the desired outcomes and has a better experience of care. This translates into a better experience for the provider as well – with higher levels of job fulfilment stemming from better-informed and more-satisfied patients.
With this focus on outcomes, collaboration and data sharing, a value-based healthcare approach ultimately delivers care more effectively and efficiently, with greater value for cost.
Our vision for value-based healthcare
Our approach to value-based healthcare at the TAC will deliver:
- Improved satisfaction and experience of receiving care
- Improved outcomes that matter to clients
- Empowered to be active participants in their care
- Increased job satisfaction and experience of providing care
- Increased efficiency and reduced wastage
For the TAC:
- Ensuring clients get their lives back on track through improved outcomes
- Increased transparency about the value of services we pay for
For the community:
- Enhanced population health outcomes
- Reduced overall burden of poor health and wellbeing
Our path to value-based healthcare
We will work in partnership with our clients and providers to incorporate value-based healthcare in a gradual, measured way:
Initiatives to deliver value-based healthcare
We are in the early stages of our transition to a value-based healthcare approach. Our work so far has included:
- Introducing value-based healthcare as one of the four strategic directions of our TAC 2025 Strategy.
- Creating a Value-based Healthcare Grant Program to encourage providers to make shifts towards value-based care. Grants have been awarded to providers putting value-based healthcare into practice through innovative projects that support people with transport accident injuries.
- Consulting with thought-leading organisations such as the Value Institute for Health and Care and the Australian Centre for Value-Based Health Care.
- Starting pilot programs with vocational rehabilitation and pain providers to test principles of value-based healthcare.
- Sharing insights across government, health and insurance industries, such as the webinar below on our work to date: ‘The TAC’s Value-based Healthcare Journey: Outcomes that Matter in Road Trauma’, hosted by the Australian Centre for Value-Based Health Care.
For more information
The TAC has a dedicated team to advance our work towards value-based healthcare. If you have questions or would like to learn more, please email them at email@example.com.