Speech pathology guidelines

These guidelines should be read in conjunction with our General provider guidelines.

Who can provide speech pathology services?

You can provide services if you are a speech pathologist who is eligible for membership with Speech Pathology Australia and you meet its ongoing registration standards to practice in Australia (other than as a student).

What we can pay for

We can pay the reasonable costs of your patient’s speech pathology when it is required as a result of a transport accident injury.

We will review our client’s treatment to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We'll ask you and our client for information during these reviews and may temporarily stop funding treatment if we don’t receive it.

Reviews help us understand our client’s injuries, treatment needs and goals and how to best support them to get their life back on track. After a review we’ll let you and our client know the decision regarding further treatment.

We can pay for:

  • Individual treatment.
  • Group treatment.
  • Travel to conduct treatment in the community, where this is clinically justified. Travel time can be paid for travel to and from your practice address and your patient's residence. Where more than one patient is visited in a single travel period, total travel costs should be apportioned equally between patients.
  • Provision of basic equipment. Our approval is required for specialised equipment. Please read our Medical and rehabilitation equipment guidelines and use the Equipment Prescription Form to submit written requests.

Other things to note

If your patient has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services may form part of the independence planning process between the patient's treating team and our TAC coordinator.

If your patient already has an individualised funding package, speech pathology may be included as part of that.

Gap in treatment

If our client has not received treatment in 6 months they will need to seek approval from us before we will pay for further treatment. Ask our client for a copy of their approval if you haven’t seen them in 6 months.

How much we can pay

We can pay for services in line with our Speech pathology fees.

Fees for speech pathology performed within a public hospital are based on the Department of Health Schedule of Fees and Charges for acute health services in Victoria.

What we cannot pay for

We cannot pay for services that are included in a hospital inpatient bed fee.