Speech pathology

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you recover we will pay for speech therapy provided in Australia.

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for this treatment  without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of this treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

When we can pay for speech pathology

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC will pay for you to visit your doctor or other health professional so you can discuss your needs with them. As part of that visit they can refer you to a speech pathologist. The TAC can then approve your speech pathology treatment.

After the first 90 days, you will need TAC approval to see your speech therapist.

When needed, we will work with your treating team to help them organise the speech pathology services and support you need.

We may contact your speech pathologist to discuss your progress or request an assessment, to make sure that:

  • You have access to the most appropriate treatment and support.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn't helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

Treatment and services we can’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What do speech therapists do?

Speech pathologists (otherwise known as speech therapists) help people with communication and swallowing problems. Speech pathologists can help with a range of difficulties you may have as a result of your transport accident injuries, including problems with speech, voice, using and understanding language, fluency, reading, writing, eating and drinking.

For more information please see the following resources:

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your treatments:

  • Directly to your speech therapist, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your provider charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference. For a list of TAC rates, see:

For providers

If you are a provider of speech pathology services, please refer to our TAC provider guidelines.