How to invoice the TAC
Your invoicing options
You can invoice us using one of three methods:
Eligible providers can use this digital solution to submit online invoices, view payment decisions immediately and receive payment the next business day. Access more information or register at lanternpay.com/providers
Submit your invoice as a PDF attachment to email@example.com
Your email must contain:
- invoices for only one client
- the client's claim number in your subject line
- invoices in PDF format (not Microsoft Excel or Word)
- no links to accounting programs (e.g. MYOB)
Send an original copy of your invoice to:
Transport Accident Commission (TAC)
GPO Box 2751
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Receiving your payment
We pay via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). To enable this, complete our EFT/ Direct Deposit Authority form.
For invoices via email or post, you have the option to access your remittance online by registering for the Westpac PaymentsPlus Portal.
If you invoice us via email or post, submit a valid tax invoice with all of the details below to get paid promptly and accurately. If details are missing, we may not be able to pay you, or your payment may be delayed.
A separate invoice is needed for each client – multiple clients cannot appear on the same invoice. If you include multiple providers on one invoice, clearly list the services delivered by each provider.
1. Your business details
- Billing address
- Service location (if different to billing address)
- Email address
2. Client details
- Client TAC claim number
- Client name
- Client date of birth
- Client address
- Client date of accident (if claim number is unknown)
3. Provider details
- Provider name
- Provider type
- Provider Medicare stem (if applicable)
4. Service details
- TAC or MBS item number
- Date of service
- Description of service (as per the TAC fee schedule)
- Duration of service (in hours) or quantity of service
- Total amount of invoice
5. Your bank account details
- Account name
- Account number
- Bank name
Additional requirements for specific professions
All medical practitioners
- Name and provider number of the medical practitioner who performed the service (if different from the provider claiming for the service)
- Indication if the procedure was provided for an 'admitted patient' or was performed 'in rooms'
- MBS item number and description of each service (AMA item numbers cannot be accepted)
- Name of referring medical practitioner and either their provider number or practice details (except in trauma/emergency)
For invoices not submitted through LanternPay, we require the following details before we can pay your invoice:
- Date dispensed
- PBS item number, where available
- Item description, for non-PBS items
- Quantity of medication dispensed
- Medication strength, where applicable
- Amount charged per item
- Dispensary computer generated tax invoice/tax receipt
- For hospital patients, whether the medication is for outpatient or discharge
If you provide tax invoice statement (instead of a full tax invoice) this must include the script number and item number.
- For any surgical procedures provided in a public or private hospital operating theatre, the principal surgeon is required to provide the hospital operation report generated at the time of the surgical procedure with their invoice.
- Location of service.
- Side, site or structure of procedure.
- When injuries are associated with a compound (open) wound, the medical practitioner must state on their invoice 'Open' or 'Compound' next to the procedure item number.
- Consultations provided in the aftercare period following surgery must indicate 'not normal aftercare' and provide an explanation as defined by the MBS.
- Identification of the principal surgeon
- Identification of the 'assist' as defined by the MBS
Please see our Invoicing guidelines for legal costs.
Time limit for submitting invoices
There is a two-year time limit from the date of service to submit your invoices. Please refer to our policy for more information.
If you need help
Please call 1300 654 329 and a member of our Customer Service Team can help you with any questions.