How to make a claim - when a person is injured

We understand that you’ll be upset at this time and may not feel like doing any paperwork. Save as many details about your accident as you can. This will allow us to help you with your claim.

If you’ve been injured in a transport accident please follow the steps below.

Step 1 - Collect this information

Accident details

  • Accident location, circumstances and other people/drivers involved.
  • Details of the vehicles involved, including registration numbers.
  • Details of anyone who saw the accident.
  • The police report number you received when you reported the accident to the police (not required for public transport accidents).
  • For accidents that involved public transport, please provide the incident report number and the date you reported the accident to the operator.

Injury details

  • Written details of your injuries from your treating health professional or from the hospital you attended. This could be one of the following:
    • hospital discharge summary that lists your accident injuries,
    • signed Certificate of Capacity that states your injuries,
    • medical certificate that states your injuries, or
    • letter from your doctor or allied health professional with your injuries listed.
  • The name and contact details of the health professional you have seen or the hospital attended for your accident injuries.

Please note:

  • Your documentation must clearly detail the injuries you sustained in the transport accident. If it only states 'unfit for work' or 'medical condition', we will need to contact you for further information and this may delay your claim.
  • When providing us with photos of your documentation, please ensure these are clear and that you include all pages.
  • Please do not provide invoices, receipts or photos of your injuries or accident.

Income and bank details

  • Employment/income details if you have had, or will have, more than five days off work due to the accident.
  • Your bank details.

Step 2 - Make a TAC claim

Once you have the information we need in step 1, there are three ways you can make a TAC claim:

  1. Using our online lodgement form
  2. Call us on 1300 654 329. We are available Monday to Friday, from 8.30am5pm.
  3. If you are in hospital as a result of your accident, some hospitals can lodge a claim on your behalf. Please discuss this with a hospital Patient Liaison Officer.

Things to note:

  • You have 12 months to lodge a claim from the date of your accident, or the date an injury from your accident first becomes evident. More information, including exceptions to the 12 month time frame, is available in our Making a claim for compensation policy.
  • If the police did not come to the accident, you must report your transport accident to the police before you can lodge your claim.
  • If your accident was on public transport, you must report the accident to the public transport operator (e.g. Yarra Trams, Metro Trains or the relevant bus company).