Allied Health and Physical Therapies

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you recover from your transport accident injuries we will pay for these allied health physical therapies:

  • Physiotherapy
  • Osteopathy
  • Chiropractic
  • Acupuncture
  • Podiatry
  • Exercise physiology

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for this treatment without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of this treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

Gym/Swimming programs - If your allied health physical therapist recommends that you take part in a gym or swimming program that requires a paid membership, you will need to contact the TAC for approval before you start the program.

When we can pay for allied health and physical therapies

We will pay for this treatment when it’s recommended by your doctor or other health professional.

We may contact your physical therapist to talk about your progress or ask for an assessment, to make sure that:

  • You have access to the appropriate treatment and support required for your transport accident injuries.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and aren’t receiving treatment that isn’t helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track and being able to live independently.

Treatments and services we can’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • do not treat your transport accident injuries
  • are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate
  • are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What do allied health physical therapists do?

Allied health physical therapists use their special skills and areas of expertise to diagnose and treat your transport accident injuries. They can also recommend equipment that may help you.

For more information on what each therapist does, see:

Other services you can access

Your allied health physical therapist will develop a treatment plan for you that could include:

  • Diagnostic tests to determine the best treatment for your injuries
  • A referral for an exercise physiologist to oversee your gym or swimming program
  • Equipment you need such as braces and supports. See our Equipment Policy.

We will pay for these services when they are recommended by your physical therapist and part of your treatment plan.

When it's needed, we will also work with your treating team to help them coordinate the physical therapies you need.

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your treatment:

  • Directly to your physiotherapist, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your provider charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference. For a list of TAC rates, see:

For accidents that happened before 14 February 2018, we can only pay for these services (with the exception of Exercise Physiology) once any required medical excess has been reached. Find out if the medical excess applies to you.

For providers

If you are a provider of physical therapies, please refer to our TAC Provider Guidelines.