Community nursing

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you after your accident we will pay for community nursing services provided within Australia.

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for this treatment without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of this treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

When we can pay for community nursing

In the first 90 days after your accident, if your treater recommends you get help from a community nursing service because of your injuries, there’s no need to contact us for approval first.

After the first 90 days, you will need TAC approval for more community nursing.

If needed, we can work with your treating team to help organise the nursing services and support you need.

There may be times when we will contact your nursing service to discuss your progress or ask for an assessment to make sure that:

  • You get the most appropriate treatment and support.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn't helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

Treatment and services we can’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What will my community nurse do?

Community nurses will come to your home and can provide a number of services you need as a result of your transport accident injuries. This includes care after a hospital stay, general nursing care and wound management.

For more information please see the following resources:

How community nursing is paid for

We pay for your nursing services:

  • Directly to your nursing service, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your service charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference. For a list of TAC rates, see:

For providers

If you are a community nursing provider, please refer to our TAC Provider Guidelines.