Hospital treatment

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you recover from your injuries we will pay for services that you receive from any public or private hospital within Australia.

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for your hospital treatment without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of your hospital treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

When we can pay for hospital services

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC approves the hospital treatment you need because of your accident injuries. This includes the cost of your emergency, inpatient and outpatient services. We will also work with your hospital to ensure that you receive the services you require.

After the first 90 days, you will need TAC approval for more hospital treatment.

We may need to approve admissions for non-emergency treatment beforehand. For more information please see: Surgery and medical specialists

Hospital treatment options

You may be admitted to a hospital as a:

  • public patient
  • private patient in a public hospital
  • private patient in a private hospital

As a private patient you can choose which doctor treats you, and you may have a private room. However this service may cost more than our approved rate and you may need to pay any difference.

Hospital services you may need include:

  • emergency services
  • inpatient services, including hospital in the home or rehab in the home
  • outpatient services

Other services you can use

We will also pay for support services to help you at home when you leave hospital.

We can also pay for your family’s visiting expenses if they live more than 100kms from the hospital and they visit you in hospital.

Checking your progress

We may contact your physical therapist to discuss your progress or request an assessment to make sure that:

  • You have access to appropriate treatment and supports required for your transport accident injuries.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn't helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your hospital treatment:

  • Directly to your hospital, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

This includes any allied health and medical services you need.

We will also pay for outpatient services, such as emergency department attendances, specialist rehabilitation services and mental health services you need because of your injuries.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

Treatments and services we can't pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective

Incidental items that you may have chosen to get as part of your inpatient stay such as newspapers, cable television, entertainment systems, telephone calls and toiletries.

About Victoria’s hospital system

Hospitals provide services including emergency care, surgery and specialist clinics.

Victoria’s hospital system is made up of:

You can receive treatment as:

  • An inpatient, when you are admitted to hospital
  • An outpatient, where you are treated in hospital but are not admitted.

We deal with public and private hospitals in different ways. Public hospitals are mainly funded by both the state and federal governments, while private hospitals and day procedures are funded by a number of sources, including private health insurance and the federal government.

For more information, see:

How much we will pay

Public hospitals

We will pay the cost of treatment provided in public hospitals in Victoria in line with the Department of Health and Human Services Fees Manual.

Private hospitals

We will pay the cost of treatment provided in private hospitals in Victoria in line with arrangements and contracts we have in place with each provider.

When there is no existing arrangement in place, fees are paid in line with the Private hospital (non-arrangement) services fee schedule.

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your private hospital charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference.

Contracted private hospitals:

  • Epworth (all locations)
  • Healthe Care (Brunswick Private Hospital, South Eastern Private Hospital and The Valley Private Hospital)
  • Healthscope (Victorian Rehabilitation Centre and North East Rehabilitation Centre)

Arrangement private hospitals:

  • The Avenue Private Hospital
  • Bayside Private Hospital
  • Donvale Rehabilitation Hospital
  • Dorset Rehabilitation Hospital
  • Jessie McPherson Private Hospital
  • Knox Private Hospital
  • The Melbourne Clinic
  • Peninsula Private Hospital
  • Cabrini Hospital (Malvern and Brighton locations)
  • St John of God Ballarat
  • Warringal Private Hospital

In other States and Territories of Australia, payment is made on a case-by-case basis.

For providers

If you are a private hospital provider please refer to our TAC provider guidelines or your relevant contract and arrangement documents.