Essentials for TAC providers
Who we are
The TAC is a Victorian Government-owned organisation set up to promote road safety and help pay for treatment and benefits for people injured in transport accidents. See About us.
How to register as a TAC provider
If you are a health or service provider delivering treatment or services to a TAC client, you can register with us here.
If you are already a registered provider you can:
You can also access information on our logo policy.
Health and service providers can support TAC clients with treatments and services that:
- are required as a result of a transport accident injury (not for a pre-existing condition),
- are safe and effective,
- promote recovery, functional independence or self-management,
- are reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focussed and in line with our Clinical Framework,
- comply with all responsibilities relating to your profession or service, and
- comply with all relevant legislative requirements, including the Transport Accident Act 1986, the Health Records Act 2001, the Disability Act 2006, the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 and the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities 2006.
Before providing a treatment or service, you can confirm that your patient/client has an accepted TAC claim by either:
- asking them to share their TAC claim number with you (found on their claim acceptance letter or the myTAC app),
- checking in LanternPay, our online payment platform for eligible providers, or
- calling us so we can confirm the claim.
Treatments and services
Within the first 90 days of a client’s accident, we can help pay for some treatments and services without the need for you or the client to contact us for approval first. In other circumstances, you or the client will need to contact us for approval. For details visit What we can pay for.
If you are a health professional and intend to continue treating a TAC client beyond 90 days after their transport accident, you will need to send us a request in writing or a copy of their treatment plan. For details, visit How to seek TAC approval.
How much we can pay
We can pay for treatments and services in line with our published fees.
If your fee is higher than our fee, you may choose to charge the client the difference in the form of a gap payment.
How to invoice us
You can invoice us by email or post by following our invoice requirements.
Many treatments and services can be invoiced via LanternPay, our online payment platform, which enables next-business day payments.
Resources to support health treatment
Health professionals can access resources that include:
- The Clinical Framework, a set of guiding principles to help you deliver the right care at the right time.
- Outcome measures to help you assess a client’s health status and demonstrate the effectiveness of treatment.
- Our Clinical Panel of experienced professionals who can give you support and advice as you treat TAC clients.