A future where every journey is a safe one

What we can pay for

Approved treatments and services for new TAC clients

Immediately after a transport accident we can pay for the treatment and services listed below. You don't need to contact us for initial approval if:

  • you have a TAC claim number
  • your doctor or other health professional recommends it, and
  • the treatment or service is for your accident injuries.

We'll check your progress to make sure your treatment is supporting your recovery. At times we may speak to your providers and ask for a copy of your treatment plan. This helps us to understand the treatment you need, what we can pay for and how long we can pay for it.

If it’s been more than 6 months since you had any treatment paid for by the TAC, call us first to discuss your needs.

Ambulance services

Transport from an accident to hospital; and from one hospital to another.

Hospital treatment

Treatment at a public, private or rehabilitation hospital.

Medical services/doctor appointments

For example, visits to your family doctor or specialist doctor.

X-rays and scans

Medical imaging to diagnose your injury, this includes x-ray, CT scans, MRI and ultrasound.


Emergency or elective surgery within 3 months after your accident.


Medicine prescribed or recommended by your doctor and bought from a pharmacy.

Basic equipment and medical aids

Hire or purchase of basic items such as crutches, wound dressings, or hygiene products.

Community nursing

Home visits after you are discharged from hospital.

Dental services

Treatment for your teeth damaged in the accident.

Rehabilitation services

Rehabilitation in hospital, at home or in the community.

Mental health and wellbeing services

This includes psychology or psychiatric services you may need after an accident.

Travel and accommodation

Public transport or costs of kms travelled in a personal car to get to appointments related to your accident injuries.

Support for family members

We can pay parents for time off work if they need to visit their injured child in hospital. Family members can also get help with travel, accommodation and counselling.

Treatments and services that need approval

There are other treatments and services we may also pay for to support you after a transport accident.  These are listed below and require our approval.

We will work with you and your providers to plan your goals and give you ongoing support to coordinate the treatment and services you need.

If you would like to discuss any treatment options please call us on 1300 654 329.

When a family member dies

If you have lost a loved one in a transport accident we’re so sorry for your loss and are here to help. We offer financial support with funeral costs and counselling services and will give you as much information and advice as we can. Find out how we can help.