The TAC Pause Stop initiative aims to reduce driver fatigue on long journeys by encouraging road users to plan ahead, pull over, and recharge.
There are more than 60 places to pause from the road across Victoria during key holiday periods. Use the interactive map below to find a Pause Stop and plan your journey now.
A pause from the road might save your life.
Find a pause stop
How to avoid tired driving
- Plan a pause from the road every two hours
- Get enough sleep before driving
- Avoid driving late at night
- Don't travel for more than 8 - 10 hours a day
- Share the driving wherever possible
- Don't drink alcohol before your trip
- Take a 15-minute powernap if you feel drowsy
- Grab a coffee to recharge
Find out more about driver fatigue and drowsy driving here on the TAC website.
Signs of drowsy driving
- Yawning or heavy eyes
- Daydreaming or forgetting the last few kilometres
- Drifting from your lane, tailgating or hitting a shoulder rumble strip
- Difficulty maintaining a consistent, correct speed
- Not realising traffic lights have changed to green
- A slower reaction time when braking or stopping at intersections
Victoria Tourism Industry Council (VTIC) Partnership
Visit the VTIC website to learn more about visitor services.
Driver Reviver Program
The TAC is working in partnership with Victoria State Emergency Services (VICSES) to support the Driver Reviver program to operate pop-up Pause Stop sites in select locations across Victoria over key, high-risk holiday periods.
The volunteer-run program encourages travellers to take regular breaks from the road, offering complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits at 48 sites across Victoria. We proudly work together towards a shared objective of promoting road safety and fatigue prevention.
Please take our short survey to win a $500 fuel voucher
Please complete this short 5-minute survey to help us improve our knowledge and understanding of road safety behaviour.
Please note, participation is voluntary and any information you provide in the survey will be kept confidential.