Evidence reviews summarise the findings of a number of scientific research studies that have examined how well specific treatments work.
Environmental scans survey national and international industry sectors to identify current and emerging best practices in healthcare delivery.
Evidence reviews must be objective and not influenced by parties with vested interests. Evidence reviews can help providers and clients understand and predict the benefits that can be expected from a particular treatment. We use evidence reviews in its policy development and as a guide in decision making.
The evidence reviews listed below were conducted by the TAC and WorkSafe Evidence Service, a service provided between 2009 and June 2018 by the Institute for Safety Compensation and Recovery Research (ISCRR) based at Monash University.
From 1st July 2018, under the TAC's new research model, evidence reviews may be done internally by the TAC Research Branch or commissioned from one of our Research Panel providers. The Research Branch is independent from TAC business and client functions.
TAC has partnered with PEDro, the Physiotherapy Evidence Database. PEDro is a free database of randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy.
Recent evidence reviews:
- Primary Care Models of Care - A scoping meta review:
- Early intervention after injury - A rapid review PDF, 2.87MB
- Identifying client needs - Worldwide evidence review
- Return to Work - A meta review
- Rehabilitation models - A scoping review PDF, 1.2MB
Updated evidence reviews:
Implantable pain therapies
Intrathecal infusions include:
- Opiates (opioids, narcotics)
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Subcutaneous electrical stimulation
- Peripheral nerve stimulation
- Motor cortex stimulation
- Deep brain stimulation
- Carpal tunnel release in acute injuries
Spinal injection therapies
- Epidural injections
- Other spinal injection therapies
- Medial Branch Blocks
- Facet joint injections
- Sacro-iliac joint injections
- Radiofrequency Denervation
- Sedatives (Benzodiazepines) for anxiety
- Lokomat for Spinal Cord Injury
- Medicinal Cannabis - ISCRR Evidence Review of the use of medicinal cannabis for the treatment of chronic pain, mental heath and nausea.
Lumbar Spinal Fusion
- Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma or whole blood injections for epicondylitis - Evidence Review Report - Word - 0.43MB
- Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma or whole blood injections for epicondylitis - ISCRR Evidence Review Summary - Word - 0.21MB
- Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma or whole blood injections for epicondylitis - Plain language statement - Word - 0.16MB
- Segmented rehabilitation for people after ABI - PDF - 0.5 MB
- Beds & Mattresses for Back Pain - Plain language summary - PDF - 0.21 MB
- Beds & Mattresses for Back Pain - Technical Report Appendices 1-6 - PDF - 1.27 MB
- Chronic Pain Evidence Review - PDF - 0.46 MB
- Comparative effectiveness of counselling providers with different qualifications - Plain language summary - PDF - 0.28 MB
- Comparative effectiveness of counselling providers with different qualifications - Appendices 1-5 - PDF - 0.32 MB
- Current & emerging assistive technologies Evidence Review - PDF - 0.47 MB
- Art Therapy 2012 - Plain Language Summary - PDF - 0.2 MB
- Art Therapy 2012 - Technical Report Appendices 1-5 - PDF - 0.88 MB
- Models of supported accommodation for TBI - Evidence Review - PDF - 2.91 MB
- Personal Experiences Online - Evidence Review - PDF - 0.31 MB
- Rehabilitation in the Disability Context - Evidence Review.pdf - PDF - 0.26 MB
- The costs and benefits of end user engagement in disability research - Evidence Review - PDF - 0.42 MB
- rTMS-for-Depression-Evidence-Review.pdf - PDF - 0.43 MB
- Primary Care Models of Care - A Scoping meta review - PDF - 1.13 MB
- Identifying client needs - Worldwide evidence review: - PDF - 0.99 MB
- Return to Work - A meta review - PDF - 0.62 MB
- Rehabilitation models - A scoping review: - PDF - 1.2 MB
- Art Therapy 2018 - Full Report - PDF - 0.43 MB
- Art Therapy 2018 - Plain Language Summary - PDF - 0.24 MB
- Medicinal Cannabis - Evidence Review - PDF - 0.85 MB