A future where every journey is a safe one

When a family member dies

If you have lost a loved one in a transport accident we’re so sorry for your loss. We are here to help. We offer financial support with funeral costs and counselling services. We'll give you as much information and advice as we can.

We can also provide financial support for dependants.

Accessing TAC support

To access support from the TAC, you will need to complete a Funeral and dependency benefits claim form. This form asks about the person who has died and about the accident. We use this information to look at the support we can give you.

The TAC support coordinators can help you complete this form and will let you know if there is any other information you may need to give us.

How we can help

Our support coordinators are here to help you to understand how to get financial support from us.

Your benefits will depend on your family's circumstances. When you have an accepted TAC claim and a claim number, talk to your support coordinator for more information about a particular service. You can contact them on 03 5225 6200 or by email at familybenefits@tac.vic.gov.au.

Support with funeral, burial and cremation expenses

The TAC can contribute a maximum amount of $15,880 towards the cost of a funeral, including burial, cremation and monument.

Travel and accommodation expenses to attend a funeral, burial or cremation

The TAC can pay up to $5,290 per family to cover the costs of travel and accommodation expenses within Australia for the immediate family members attending the funeral of a TAC client.  To be eligible, the family member must live more than 100kms from the place where the funeral, burial or cremation is held.

To make a claim, please complete the Travel and Accommodation expenses form .

Support with family counselling

The TAC can pay for family counselling services required after the death of a family member. This benefit is available to the spouse or partner, parents, children, grandparents, brothers and sisters of the person who has died.

To be eligible, a registered doctor, psychologist or qualified social worker must provide the counselling service. The TAC can pay up to a maximum of $16,850 per family.

Any family member who is diagnosed with a mental or physical injury as a result of the transport accident may be eligible to lodge their own claim. Please contact the TAC on 1300 654 329 if you or another family member wants to find out about lodging a claim.

We make decisions about family counselling according to our Mental health and wellbeing services policy.

Support for a dependent spouse or partner

If your spouse or partner was contributing to your family's income or caring for your children, we can provide financial support to help you.

Lump sum payment

The TAC can pay a one-off lump sum benefit to a dependent partner. This amount can be up to $188,930 depending on the person's age, family circumstances or any prior impairment payments. Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible to receive other benefits.

In addition to a lump sum payment, a dependent partner may receive a weekly benefit and/or support at home. The benefit you receive will depend on what your partner's responsibilities were before the accident.

If your partner was employed and providing financial support

The TAC can pay an ongoing, regular payment, equivalent to 80% of your partner's earnings, up to a maximum of $1,390 gross per week. You may be eligible for this benefit even if you were working at the time of the accident. To claim these benefits, you will need to provide information about your partner's income.


If your partner was caring for children or responsible for housework

The TAC can contribute to the cost of employing a person to help out with the childcare and household tasks for which your partner was responsible. There are limits to the amount of weekly hours the TAC can pay for, the duration and the rate of reimbursement.

If your partner was also in paid employment, please contact your TAC support coordinator to find out which benefits apply to your situation.

TAC support for dependent children

Please note: These benefits will not apply if the child's surviving parent is first entitled to a benefit as a dependent spouse or domestic partner.

If both parents, a sole parent or a supporting parent died in the accident, payments can be made for the dependent children of the deceased.

The dependent children may receive the following benefits.

Lump sum payment

The TAC can pay a one-off lump sum of up to $188,930 to the dependent children. This sum is held with the State Trustees until the children reach 18.

A dependent child is defined as being under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 25 and a full-time student or apprentice*, but does not include a child who has a spouse or partner.

If there is more than one dependent child, this lump sum will be divided equally between the dependent children.

Fortnightly payment

The TAC can also pay the legal guardian $194 each week for each dependent child under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 18 and a full-time student or apprentice*.

Education allowance

The TAC can also pay an education allowance of $3,010 per year to the legal guardian for each full-time student, up to 18 years of age.

* Apprentice applies to accidents on or after 26 September 2018.

When a family member dies policy

When a family member dies

We are here to help at this difficult time and can help by giving you information and advice, and by paying for these services:

  • Funeral expenses
  • Travel and accommodation expenses to attend the funeral, for immediate family members who live more than 100km away from the location of the service.
  • Family counselling services
  • Financial support for dependants.

How these services are paid for

Your funeral director can fill out the forms and bill us directly, so that you don’t have to worry.

If you have paid for the funeral yourself we will repay you. Please complete the Funeral and Dependency Benefits claim form and send it to us with the original copy of the receipt. You should keep a copy of the receipt for your own records.

If family members need to claim travel and accommodation expenses, it may be easier if one responsible person claims on behalf of everyone. They will need to complete and send us a Travel and Accommodation Expenses: Declaration for family members attending the funeral service of a TAC client form and attach all the original receipts. We will pay for travel in a private vehicle, and we’ll consider reimbursing the cost of taxi, motor vehicle hire, public transport and domestic air travel.

How much we will pay

We can pay up to $15,880* for the cost of a funeral and wake in Australia.

There is also a $5,290* allowance, between all immediate family members, which can be used towards travel and accommodation where you live more than 100 kilometres from the place of the funeral service.

*These amounts are for the period 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020. These amounts are indexed each financial year.

What we won’t pay for

There are a few things we can’t pay for, such as:

  • The cost of meals
  • Travel and accommodation for family members who live less than 100 kilometres from the place where the funeral service is held
  • Accommodation for more than two nights.

Further support and information

For more information, see:

For providers

If you are a provider of funeral services, please refer to our TAC funeral director guidelines.