A future where every journey is a safe one

Income support

For more detailed information about income support, please see the policies tab.

What you need to do

If you haven't already, you will need to talk to the TAC about your eligibility for loss of earnings benefits. During this talk you will be asked to provide some information about your employment. This may include:

  • Your employer's business name and address
  • Contact details of your manager or payroll officer
  • Your bank account details including:
    • Bank, branch and account name
    • BSB and account number

The TAC will send you a loss of earnings benefits summary which outlines the information you provided during the conversation. It will also ask for the documents we need to complete your loss of earnings assessment.

These documents may include:

  • Confirmation of your earnings for the 12 months before your accident, in the form of payslips or a printout of payments from your employer
  • Certificate(s) of capacity from your doctor
  • Completed Tax File Number Declaration form

How the TAC calculates loss of earnings benefits

The TAC calculates loss of earnings benefits by looking at your average weekly earnings in the 12 months before the accident.

The following table is a guide to how the TAC works out your rate. The amounts listed below are based on weekly gross income.


If your income is below $665*, you will be paid the full amount of your income.


If 80% of your income falls below $665*, you will be paid $665.


If 80% of your income falls between $665* and $1,350, you will be paid 80% of your income.


If 80% of your income is greater than $1,350, you will be paid $1,350.

* $665 applies to you if you have no dependants. If you have one dependant, your rate is $853. For each additional dependant add $60. Dependants include anyone who is reliant on you for financial support.

The TAC can only pay you the dependant rate if it is less than 100% of your weekly income.

The dollar amounts listed are for the period 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019. These amounts are indexed each financial year.

The TAC will deduct tax from your loss of earnings benefits. If you have a HELP debt, the TAC will also deduct the appropriate HELP payment. If you must pay family maintenance, the TAC may deduct an amount designated by the Child Support Agency.

When you will be paid

The TAC pays loss of earnings benefits on a fortnightly basis into your nominated bank account.

The 2019 pay dates for eligible clients are below.

  • 2 January
  • 16 January
  • 30 January
  • 13 February
  • 27 February
  • 13 March
  • 27 March
  • 10 April
  • 24 April
  • 8 May
  • 22 May
  • 5 June
  • 19 June
  • 3 July
  • 17 July
  • 31 July
  • 14 August
  • 28 August
  • 11 September
  • 25 September
  • 9 October
  • 23 October
  • 6 November
  • 20 November
  • 4 December
  • 18 December

You will be sent a Pay As You Go (PAYG) summary at the end of the financial year to include in your tax return.

Certificate of capacity required

To make a loss of earnings payment the TAC must have a certificate of capacity from your doctor that states your capacity to work is affected because of your accident injuries. It must also state how long your capacity to work will be affected.

Please take note of the date that your certificate of capacity finishes. To ensure continuous payment of your loss of earnings benefits, please send the TAC any further certificates of capacity at least five working days before your current certificate runs out.

If you return to work part time

You should contact the TAC and let us know if you are able to work reduced hours, as you may be eligible for partial loss of earnings benefits.

To claim partial loss of earnings, please provide certificates of capacity from your doctor detailing your capacity for work and payslips for all your earnings while working reduced hours. The TAC will then use this information to calculate your entitlement to partial loss of earnings benefits.