Income support for employees - FAQ (webpage)

If you have a question about income support, please call us on 1300 654 329 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm) or email

I have financial trouble and need money now - what can I do?

If you need urgent financial help, please call us on 1300 654 329 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm).

If your claim is accepted and you are eligible for income support, we may be able to make a one-off payment to you. This payment is to help with your expenses while we calculate your final income support rate. The payment is for a two week period.

Do I get back pay if I send my information late?

Yes. If you are eligible for income support, we can pay you when:

  • You have an accepted TAC claim
  • You have a Certificate of Capacity for your time of work
  • You send us all the information we need to work out your income support benefit.

We will work out how much to pay and back pay you for the time you have off work (not including the first 5 days).

You need to lodge your TAC claim within 12 months of the date of your accident.

Call us on 1300 654 329 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm) for more information.

How long can I get income support?

Most people only need income support for a short time. We can pay when your transport accident injuries stop you from going back to work.

We can pay income support for up to 18 months. This time starts from the date of your accident, or when your injury first appears.

If you have reached or are within 1 year of reaching retirement age in your occupation, income support may only be available for 12 months. See 'How long are loss of earnings benefits payable for?' for more information.

We will review your progress and your ability to return to work. We may ask you to go to a medical examination so we can better understand your options and ability to return to work.

If, after 18 months you can't go back to work, you may be eligible for a loss of earnings capacity benefit.

I have income protection paid by my insurer. Can I get TAC income support?

Yes. It is the TAC's responsibility to pay eligible people income support.

You should let your insurer or broker know if you get income support from the TAC.

Can I get income support if I go back to work part-time or on reduced hours?

Yes. We will still make temporary payments to you while you recover enough to return to your normal hours.

The amount we pay will depend on how much you earn when you go back to work.

You must let us know if you return to work.

Can I get sick or annual leave reimbursed?

Yes. We can reimburse your employer if you take sick or annual leave because of your accident.

We will work out the amount we can pay your employer. Based on this amount, they will give you back an equal amount of sick or annual leave.