Driving instructor guidelines

These guidelines should be read in conjunction with the information at Working with the TAC.

Who can provide driving instructor services?

You can provide driving lessons if you are a qualified driving instructor who holds a current Driver Instructor Authority from VicRoads under the Road Safety Act 1986 in liaison with an occupational therapist with specialist training in driver assessment.

What we can pay for

We can help pay the reasonable cost of a driving program, when recommended by an occupational therapist and overseen by a qualified driving instructor, in the following circumstances:

  • The transport accident injury imposes physical, psychological or cognitive restrictions on your client, and
  • Driving and participation will enable your client to commence, or return to, safe and competent driving.

We can help pay for:

  • driving instructor fees.
  • lessons and training on how to use adaptations in modified vehicles.
  • travel for a specialised driving instructor when:
    • your client with special needs requires a suitably modified vehicle, and
    • an instructor with the necessary skills and experience is not located near your client’s home.

Other things to note

These services require our approval. If your client has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services may form part of the independence planning process between your client's treating team and our TAC coordinator.

How much we can pay

We can help pay for services in line with our Driving assessment (instructor) fees.

What we cannot pay for

We cannot pay for:

  • driving lessons for your client if their driver’s licence or learner permit is under suspension or has been cancelled for reasons which are not directly related to their transport accident injuries
  • driving permit and licence fees
  • driving programs that are not conducted safely
  • driving programs conducted by an occupational therapist with no specialist training in driver assessment

Also see general items we cannot pay for.

For more information

Access our policies for health and support services.