Income support

Start Navigation [Current Level] End Navigation [Current Level]

We know it can be a stressful time if you can't work because of your accident. We are here to help.

We can pay you loss of earnings benefits while you are unable to return to work due to your accident injuries. We call this benefit 'income support'.

Income support is a temporary benefit while you recover enough to return to work.

We follow legislation when we work out who is eligible for income support and how much we can pay.

You have an important role to play when you receive income support. You should keep in touch with your employer and talk to your doctor about your return to work.

To help us give you the right information, please tell us a few things about your income.


You work for an employer – either full time, part time or as a casual. You earn regular pay or salary.


You work for myself. This could be as a sole trader, in a partnership or in a company or trust.


Your are looking for work or on a pension (aged, disability etc).

On home duties

You run a home or care for others in unpaid work.


Choose this option if your situation isn't covered.


This tool gives general information about your eligibility for income support. The answers given by this tool are not a TAC decision about your claim.