Your care (webpage)

You have the right to be safe and to be treated with dignity and respect at all times.

The TAC takes the care, safety and wellbeing of our clients very seriously.

This document will help you decide if the care and support you receive is fair and appropriate.

What you should expect from the care you receive

  • To be physically safe
  • To have your basic needs for food, water and clothing met
  • To be given appropriate access to medical care, medications and medical aids
  • To spend your money how you want
  • To be given privacy when you need it
  • To be supported to keep in contact with the people who are important to you
  • To be spoken to in a respectful way
  • To be listened to
  • To have a say in what you do and where you go

Signs you may not be receiving the care you deserve

  • You are touched in ways you don’t like and think are unnecessary
  • You are not provided with enough food or water
  • You don’t feel you are receiving the medical support you need
  • You have been physically hurt or are afraid of being hurt
  • You feel intimidated
  • You don’t get to make choices about what happens with your money
  • You don’t get to leave the house
  • You don’t get to contact the people who are important to you
  • You don’t feel like you can speak up for yourself
  • You don’t feel like you are treated with dignity and respect
  • You are not listened to and your wishes are not taken into account

Any of these things are unacceptable and you are entitled to speak up about the quality of your care.

Who you should speak to

You can call the TAC Abuse and Neglect Report line on 1800 931 233

You can speak to anyone in your treating team about the quality of your care. You should keep speaking to people until you feel the matter has been resolved.

Your care will not be affected if you raise your concerns. The TAC will continue to support you and make sure your needs are met.

There are also other agencies that can help:

(Police, Ambulance, Fire Brigade)

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
1800 550 552
Complaints about aged care services

AHPRA - Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
1300 419 495 against registered health practitioners

Commission for Children and Young People
1300 782 978
Promote improvement in policies and practices that affect safety and well being of Victorian children and young people

Department of Human Services Child Protection Services (Victoria)
131 278
Support to children and young people at risk of harm or where families are unable or unwilling to protect them

Disability Services Commissioner
1800 677 342 about disability services

Health Complaints Commissioner
1300 582 113 about healthcare and the handling of information in Victoria

Lifeline (24 hours)
13 11 14 personal crisis support and suicide prevention services

Office of the Public Advocate
1300 309 337
Provide advocacy and guardianship services for people with a disability

1800 737 732
Support with experience of sexual assault or and family violence

‘Safe Steps’ Family Violence Response Centre
1800 015 188
Supporting women and children experiencing family violence

Sexual Assault Crisis Line
1800 806 292 crisis counselling service for people who have experienced sexual assault

Victorian Mental Health Commissioner
1800 246 054
Complaints about public mental health services in Victoria