Completing the TAC's Medical Excess Declaration form

Start Navigation [Current Level] End Navigation [Current Level]

If you have any questions about completing the Medical Excess: Declaration form please call the TAC on 1300 654 329.

The TAC's medical excess (only applies to accidents that happened before 14 February 2018).

'Medical excess' applies to the cost of out of hospital treatment you receive for your transport accident injuries. You are responsible for the first $651* of your treatment costs. You may be able to claim some of these costs through Medicare or your private health insurer.

This amount applies only once per family and only one form should be completed per family.

When the medical excess does not apply

  • The medical excess does not apply to services received after you (or a member of your immediate family**) are admitted to hospital as an inpatient due to the same transport accident
  • If a family member has been admitted as an inpatient, the excess does not apply to any other family members injured in the same transport accident.

Services received prior to the hospital stay remain subject to the excess. These services can be counted towards the family excess for all family members injured in the accident.

The Medical excess page shows which services can and can't be used in the medical excess.

What you need to do

If your transport accident involved immediate family members, complete one Medical Excess: Declaration form per family.

Please refer to the table on the Medical excess page to check whether a service can be included in your medical excess. If you aren't sure please call the TAC on 1300 654 329 before submitting your form.

When the services you have received add up to $651*, send your completed form and your original receipts, accounts, health insurance and/ or Medicare statement of benefits to the TAC.

Obtaining a Statement of Benefits from Medicare or your private health insurer

If you have claimed the cost of your services through Medicare or a private health insurer you can obtain a statement of benefits and use this as proof the service has been paid for.

The statement of benefits should only contain the services that relate to your transport accident. You should contact Medicare or your private health insurer directly to obtain your statement of benefits.

What happens next

The TAC will send you a letter confirming that you have reached the medical excess. Once this has happened, any healthcare professional that is treating you will be able to bill the TAC directly for any further accident related treatment.

We will return all your accounts so that you may claim a rebate from your private health insurer or Medicare.

* This medical excess amount is for accidents from 1 July 2017. The applicable amount for accidents between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017 is $629. This amount may change yearly, as it is usually indexed according to the Average Weekly Earnings (AWE).

** A family member includes your partner or dependent children under 18 years of age.