Income support for self-employed - FAQ

If you have a question about income support, please call us on 1300 654 329 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm) or email

I have financial trouble and need money now - what can I do?

If you need urgent financial help, please call us on 1300 654 329 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm).

Can I get my accountant to contact you?

Yes. We encourage your accountant to speak with us to move things along.

We need your permission to speak to your accountant. If you haven't already, you will need to sign and send us an Authority to Release Information form. This form gives us permission to talk to others about your claim.

How long can I get income support?

Most people only need income support for a short time. We can pay when your transport accident injuries stop you from going back to work.

We can pay income support for up to 18 months. This time starts from the date of your accident, or when your injury first appears.

If you have reached or are within 1 year of reaching retirement age in your occupation, income support may only be available for 12 months. See 'How long are loss of earnings benefits payable for?' for more information.

We will review your progress and your ability to return to work. We may ask you to go to a medical examination so we can better understand your options and ability to return to work.

If, after 18 months you can't go back to work, you may be eligible for a loss of earnings capacity benefit.

I have income protection paid by my insurer. Can I get TAC income support?

Yes. It is the TAC's responsibility to pay eligible people income support.

You should let your insurer or broker know if you get income support from the TAC.

Can I get income support if I go back to work part-time or on reduced hours?

Yes. We will still make temporary payments to you while you recover enough to return to your normal hours.

The amount we pay will depend on how much you earn when you go back to work.

You must let us know if you return to work.

Because of the accident, my business has stopped. How will you assess my income?

If you're in a business partnership, we work out your income by looking at your share of the profit. In some cases, we may also look at your physical contribution to the business. For example, if you run a cleaning business and do all the physical work, we will take this into account.

In some cases, we can pay for the cost of hiring someone to do the work you can't do.

What should I do if I haven't lodged my tax return for this year?

We work out your income support benefit by looking at your income for the most recent financial year.

If this is not possible, we can accept information from the previous financial year.

How do I prove my income if my business is new?

We can use a profit and loss statement prepared by your accountant to work out your income support.