Doctors and diagnostics

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you recover we will pay for medical services provided by a doctor within Australia.

You can get this treatment immediately after your transport accident without initial approval from the TAC.

If it’s been more than 6 months since you had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC, you need to call us to find out if we can pay for this treatment.

When we can pay for doctors and diagnostics

You can see your doctor for treatment and care straight after your accident when you have a TAC claim number. As this is a TAC approved service, there is no need to contact us first.

Other services you can access

Your doctor may recommend other services for you, such as pathology and imaging services. This will help them decide on the best treatment for your injuries. We will pay for these services.

When needed, we will work with your treating team to help them manage the medical services and supports you need.

We may contact your doctor to discuss your progress or request an assessment to make sure that:

  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn’t helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

See Clinical notes and treatment reports for more information.

We will also pay for your doctor to meet with your employer, once you both feel it’s time to talk about returning to work. Your doctor can visit your workplace to see if you will be able to manage or if you will need some help.

Treatments and services we can’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What is the role of my doctor?

Your doctor (also known as a General Practitioner or GP) plays an important part in your recovery. They will:

  • Manage and coordinate your care and recovery.
  • Prescribe the medication you need.
  • Send you to see other health professionals or specialists.
  • Give you health information and education.
  • Help you get back to work.
  • Give you any certificates and reports you need.

For more information, see:

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your medical treatment:

  • Directly to your doctor, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your provider charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference. For a list of TAC rates, see:

For accidents that happened before 14 Febuary 2018, we can only pay for these services once any required medical excess has been reached. Find out if the medical excess applies to you.

For providers

If you are a doctor, please refer to our TAC Provider Guidelines.