Hearing services

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you with hearing and balance disorders we will pay for audiology services provided in Australia.

In the first 90 days after your accident, the TAC can help pay for this treatment without the need for you to contact us for approval first.

When you need to contact us for approval

You or your provider need to contact the TAC for approval of this treatment if:

  • It is approaching or more than 90 days since your accident and we have not approved further treatment or services, or
  • It has been more than 6 months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC.

When can we pay for hearing services

In the first 90 days after your accident, if your treater recommends that you see an audiologist because of your injuries, there is no need to contact us for approval first.

After the first 90 days, you will need TAC approval for more audiology services.

When needed, we will work with your treating team to help them organise the hearing services and support you need.

We may contact your hearing services provider to discuss your progress or ask for  an assessment to make sure that:

  • You have access to the most appropriate treatment and support.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment and not receiving treatment that isn't helping you recover.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

What we can pay for

Treatments and services we can’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Do not treat your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

What do audiologists do?

Audiologists evaluate, diagnose and treat people with hearing and balance disorders.  Audiologists can also prescribe and fit hearing aids and other aids for people who are having problems with their hearing.

For more information please see the following resources:

How treatments and services are paid for

We pay for your treatment:

  • Directly to your audiologist, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your service charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference. For a list of TAC rates, see:

For providers

If you are a provider of audiology services, please refer to our TAC provider guidelines.