Dentist and dental technician guidelines

These guidelines should be read in conjunction with the information at Working with the TAC.

Who can provide dental services?

You can provide services if:

  • you are a dentist registered under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (e.g. AHPRA or the Dental Board of Australia) to practice in the dental profession (other than as a student), or
  • you are a dental technician with the minimum qualification of a diploma of dental technology

What we can pay for

Within the first 90 days of a client’s accident, we can help pay for dental treatment and services without the need for you or the client to contact us for approval first. The treatment or service must be recommended by a health professional, related to the client’s accident injuries and delivered in line with the Clinical Framework.

If you intend to continue treating a TAC client beyond 90 days after their transport accident you will need to send us a request in writing or a copy of their treatment plan. We will review our client’s treatment to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We will assess your request and let you and the client know our decision about what we can help pay for and for how long.

If our client has not received treatment in 6 months they will need to seek approval from us before we will pay for further treatment. Ask our client for a copy of their approval if you haven’t seen them in 6 months.

For details see What we can pay for and How to seek TAC approval.

General dental services

We can help pay for:

  • diagnostic services
  • preventative services
  • adjunctive general services
  • restorative services
  • associated dental services to adjoining teeth

Specialist dental services

We can help pay for:

  • prosthodontics
  • periodontics
  • endodontics
  • orthodontics
  • temporomandibular joint therapy

Bridges, crowns and restorative services

We can help pay for:

  • dental implants
  • implant based bridge maintenance
  • crown and bridgework

Surgical procedures

We can help pay for:

  • in-room oral surgery.
  • surgical procedures when performed in the hospital in the first three months from the date of accident

Dental technician services

We can help pay for:

  • a partial or full denture
  • relining of a full denture
  • a mouth guard
  • repair to, or replacement of, a client’s denture that was damaged or lost in the transport accident

Dental technician services needing prior approval

We can help pay for:

  • dental implants.
  • oral and maxillofacial surgery that is not performed in the first three months following the accident

For more information about surgical procedures, please see our Medical practitioner guidelines.

Other things to note

Certificates of Capacity

As part of your patient’s treatment, dentists can complete a Certificate of Capacity to assess and certify your patient’s capacity for work.

Medical excess

For accidents that occurred prior to 14 February 2018 a medical excess may apply. Visit the medical excess page to see if it applies to your patient. If the medical excess applies you will need to invoice the client directly.

Patients with a severe injury

If your patient has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services may form part of the independence planning process between your patient's treating team and our TAC coordinator.

If your patient already has an individualised funding package, dental services may be included as part of that.

How much we can pay

We can pay for services in line with our Dental services fee schedule.

If your fee is higher than our fee, you may choose to charge the client the difference in the form of a gap payment. Please let the client know there will be an out of pocket expense. Clients can contact us to discuss options if the out of pocket costs will prohibit treatment or services from going ahead.

What we cannot pay for

We cannot pay for general dental treatment that your patient would have had regardless of their transport accident.

See items we cannot pay for.

For more information

Access our policy for Dental services.