Psychologist and neuropsychologist guidelines

These guidelines should be read in conjunction with our General provider guidelines.

Who can provide psychology and neuropsychology services?

You can provide psychology services if:

  • You are registered under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (e.g. AHPRA) to practice in the psychology profession (other than as a student/probationary psychologist).

Who can provide neuropsychology services?

You can provide neuropsychology services if you are a psychologist who has:

  • An accredited qualification in clinical neuropsychology with endorsement as a clinical neuropsychologist in their registration.

We prefer that treating psychologists have knowledge and skills in the assessment and treatment of people with problems relating to post-traumatic mental health.

What we can pay for

We can pay the reasonable costs of your patient’s first six psychology or neuropsychology sessions, without prior approval, immediately after a transport accident when they are required as a result of a transport accident injury.

If you, as their treating psychologist / neuropsychologist, recommends that our client would benefit from more than six sessions, you will need to complete a Mental Health Treatment Plan and submit this to the TAC for consideration. This plan outlines your treatment goals, outcome measures you will use and recommends any additional sessions.

We will review our client’s treatment at any stage to ensure it’s reasonable, clinically justified, outcome focused and in line with the Clinical Framework. We'll ask you and our client for information during these reviews and may temporarily stop funding treatment if we don’t receive it.

Reviews help us understand our client’s injuries, treatment needs and goals and how to best support them to get their life back on track. After a review we’ll let you and our client know the decision regarding further treatment.

Patient consultations

  • Individual consultations.
  • Group consultations.

Family counselling

  • Family counselling to family members of an eligible client, when paid as a part of the claim of a person who dies or is severely injured as a result of a transport accident. Contact us to check client or family member eligibility.

The Family Counselling Allowance applies per claim, regardless of how many eligible family members access this service. The applicable amount for each claim is dependent on when a family member first accessed the service. This allowance is the maximum amount we can pay for family counselling, as set out in the Transport Accident Act 1986. This amount is indexed annually.

Note: “Family member” refers to any member of the immediate family (i.e. partner, parent, sibling or child) of the person who dies or is severely injured as a result of a transport accident. A parent of a dependent child includes:

  • A person who has day-to-day care and responsibility of the child, with whom the child is normally resident.
  • A guardian of the child.


  • Travel to conduct treatment in the community, where this is clinically justified.

Travel time can be paid for travel to and from your practice address and your patient's residence. Where more than one patient is visited in a single travel period, total travel costs should be apportioned equally between patients.

Assessments and recommendations

The following reports and assessments require prior approval from us:

Psychologists and neuropsychologists:

Other things to note

Medical excess

For accidents that occurred prior to 14th February 2018 a medical excess may apply. Visit the medical excess page to see if it applies to your patient.  If the medical excess applies you will need to invoice the client directly.

Gap in treatment

If our client has not received treatment in 6 months they will need to seek approval from us before we will pay for further treatment. Ask our client for a copy of their approval if you haven’t seen them in 6 months.

Patients with a severe injury

  • If your patient has a severe injury, the discussion, referral and approval of services may form part of the independence planning process between your patient's treating team and our TAC coordinator.
  • If your patient already has an individualised funding package, psychology and neuropsychology services may be included as part of that.

How much we can pay

We can pay for services in line with our Psychology and neuropsychology fees.

What we cannot pay for

We cannot pay for:

  • Services that are included as part of a hospital inpatient bed fee.
  • E-therapy services that are not endorsed by Head to Health, or are free to the public.
  • Neurotherapy treatment.