Interpreting services

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. To help you with your injuries we will pay for interpreting services provided by an accredited interpreter within Australia.

What do interpreters do?

An interpreter will translate what you say to your doctor or health professional. They are able to explain the full meaning of what you say from one language to another language. We use interpreters/translators accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). They have a diploma or higher qualification in a NAATI approved course.

TAC approved service

Interpreting services are a TAC approved service, you don’t need to contact us to ask for our approval before you access the interpreting services you need.

We offer a multilingual phone service called TACLINK, provided by the Victorian Interpreting and Translating Service. Call the number for your language to hear recorded information about our services in that language.

How these services are paid for

We pay for these services:

  • Directly to your interpreting service, when you have given them your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

We will pay for your treatment and services according to our fee schedule. If your interpreter service charges more than the TAC rate, you may need to pay the difference.

For a list of TAC rates, see:

What is not covered

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Are not for your transport accident injuries.
  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate.
  • Are not clinically justified, safe and effective.

We will not pay for an interpreter for an appointment with your solicitor unless it is necessary for you to provide information to comply with the requirements of impairment, dispute or common law protocol agreements.

Useful links

The Victorian government’s Health Translations site offers health information in multiple languages.

For providers

If you are a provider of interpreter services, please refer to our TAC Provider Guidelines.