Community access support services

We’re here to help you get your life back on track after your transport accident. We can pay for community access support and planning services in Australia to help you get back into the community.

How can community access support services help?

If you have multiple physical, sensory and cognitive disabilities as a result of severe transport accident injuries, you may need extra help.

Community group programs and activities

These are designed to suit you and to help you to be as independent as possible. There are programs and activities to help with new skills, recreation and leisure.

Community access planning

This service helps with your independence by improving your peer support networks and helping you to get out and join in with community, recreation and leisure activities.

How we approve these services

We pay for you to visit your doctor or occupational therapist to discuss your needs. As part of that visit they may recommend some support to help you join community activities.

They will ask us if you can do a community access program or community access planning. We will work with your treating team to ensure that you receive this help.

We may contact your recommending doctor or occupational therapist to discuss your progress or request an assessment, to make sure that:

  • You have access to the right treatment and support.
  • You are getting proven, evidence-based treatment, not treatment that isn't helping.
  • You are moving towards getting your life back on track or being able to live independently.

How these services are paid for

We pay for these services:

  • Directly to your service provider, when you have provided them with your TAC claim number, or
  • If you have to pay, use myTAC to send a copy of your receipt to us and we will repay you.

We pay for your services in line with our responsibilities under the Transport Accident Act 1986.

How much we will pay

There is a limit to how much we will pay to a community access or community access planning provider. If your service costs more than our rate you might need to pay the difference.

For a list of rates, see:

What we won’t pay for

We can’t pay for services that:

  • Are not reasonable, necessary or appropriate
  • Are not authorised under TAC legislation
  • Are for someone other than you
  • Have not been approved by TAC prior to commencement
  • Are provided outside Australia
  • Are of no clear benefit
  • Are activity costs associated with participation in community activities including:
    • entry fees, e.g. to an art gallery
    • activity costs, e.g. the purchase cost of roller skates
    • materials, e.g. wood for woodworking
    • hire of equipment and/or hire of facility component of activity, teaching or instruction of the activity, e.g. bowling balls or bowling shoes